What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ventrincosa...

Hello,
    How large do the climbing stem and pitchers get? I went to a botanical garden and there was one over 6 in. long! and mine have been growing huge traps, too. Here's a pic:

Nepenthes%20ventrincosa.jpg

The pitcher is approx. 4 in. long!
smile.gif
Hope you like the pic.
smile.gif

Spectabilis73

That looks great! The way it was explained to me was the "good clones" of N. ventricosa make 5 - 6" pitchers and the "worthless clones" make 2-3" pitchers. So it seems to be pretty variable.
The plant I have is supposed to make large dark red pitchers but it is completely uninterested in growing for me so I'm envious of your plant!

yes, Spec.73 very nice plant. at first i was what the %$#@ till i turned me head and was wow. if you ever make cuttings let me know

wow that a nice plant
mine are making about 4in pitchers but I have the red form

very pretty plant

Jeremiah,
Are you doing anything special for your red form? What temp range are you keeping it in? I've got a red form cutting and has stayed making 3" leaves with no pitchers since about Febuary! I've got in a highland tank with tons of light & humidity (next to rajah, hamata, lowii, etc). It just won't cooperate!
mad.gif

I just grow it on the windowsill. for proof you can see the window in the background of the pic., lol.

I got the plant from californiacarnivores. The plants there are super big! the ventrincosa there for $30.00 are the best ones there, rather than the 15.00. Only problem is, they're a little expensive, thats why petflytrap is my fav.

one pitcher is very dark red on my regular ven.! maybe I'll get a pic...
smile.gif

I think there are different clones of similar color variations that have different growth habbits. Red forms of ventricosa that I've gotten from Lowes, grow at a nice, steady pace. Another red form that I got from a nursery, seems to grow much slower in the same conditions. There may be other factors to the difference in growth, but it seems to me that it's because they're different clones. What do you think
confused.gif
?

I keep mine at about 80F in the day and 60 at night. The humidity is never lower the 75% and at night it is 90% to 95%.
It is in the greenhouse so it get a lot of light. I have a 40% shade cloth and the double-wall polycarbonate shads about 20%. But I think that the sun in Colorado at 6500ft is stronger the sun at sea level just a guess though.

mine went through a stage right after I got it where is did not make any pitcher but now it is make them on every leaf. It did not make a pitcher for about 4 months.

so just give it a little time and it should start making pitchers soon

my only suggestion is the you keep it a little wormer but not much

well, they are highlanders...Don't know how they could survive at 80*...The temps I give it is around a constant 60-70 degrees.and ALOT of humidity.
smile.gif

It's making another giant pitcher! this one is about 5 in. long!

My ventricosa is one from petflytrap. I think it is one of the "good clones" because at less than a year old it is making 1 3/4 in. pitchers. Every new pitcher that it makes is also bigger than the pitcher that grew before it. I hope it turns out to be like Spectabilis73's pitcher... crossed his fingers
wink.gif

Depending on what ventricosa plant somebody has, pitcher size can vary greatly. I have one variety that has produced pitchers larger than six inches tall and quite wide on lower pitchers. It depends on the plant.

Kim

Right now mine are around 3 to 4 inches and that is eyeballing them. I will measure lator
wink.gif
. I purchased mine back in June 02 and the pitchers were only an 1 big at the time.

travis

Spectabilis,

Eighty degrees for most highlanders(ventricosa is considered an internediate by some) should not be too bad of a problem, as long as you have the dip in temperature at night. I have heard Kota Kinabalu can get as warm as 100 F in the day at times. I'm sure Rob Cantley can enlighten us on that...
But keep doing whatever your doing. That ventricosa looks great!

Regards,

Joe

Back