What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes variegation

As I was cleaning up my nepenthes growing area today, I discovered that one of the plants --Nepenthes ventricosa X maxima-- had produced a stem that was mostly hidden from view behind other plants. When I picked the pot up, I discovered that the leaves on the stem were showing signs of variegation. While not dramatically streaked, each leaf after a certain point on the stem showed some degree of yellow or white patches. This is definitely variegation. I've seen the mother plant of 'Scarlet Splash' and know that it was discovered in a tray of tissue cultured plants as a single variegate. I'm curious about this, though. Is it true that variegation is or can be the result of a virus? The rest of the plant is unaffected, just the single stem. Oz

The single stem sounds strange. We have a varigated rafflesiana that is a TC sport. Michelle spotted it among hundreds growing in trays. The plant is still small, about three inches across, but every leaf shows the varigation pattern.

Trent

That's how 'Scarlet Splash' was discovered. It was one single plant tissue cultured clone sitting amongst hundreds of other Nepenthes coccineas. I've got this plant growing under special conditions this winter and will follow its progress.

Deffinately let us know how these plants are doing and congrats.

It will be interesting to see if the variegation holds. Often these things come and go as it is a flaw in the meristematic tissue. It is technically called a chimera.

Tony

Cool a mossaic
smile.gif
Anything that causes mutation can cause a mossaic plant, inclueing viresses. We saw lots of slides of plants in my genetics class that had a single branch with the mutation so it is totally possible
smile.gif
let us just hope it sticks!

Michelle contacted the tc lab, and they e-mailed back a picture of another raff that showed varigations. The pattern of the varigation looked different on their plant which was larger. They noted that it's a poor pitcher producer, but so far our little plant has pitchered on every leaf. Will keep everyone informed.

Trent

So, was there more than one plant that emerged from the tc labs with N. x coccinea showing variegation, and if a second one did show, would it also be called "Scarlet Splash?"

Joe

Hi Joe,
As far as I know, 'Scarlet Splash' is the only varigated N. coccinea to show up. So far, two varigated tc rafflesianas have been produced: the head grower at the lab has one, and we have the other.

Trent

Back