What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes uppers or not?

Is that a pic of yours (left) and one of Antechron's plants (right) side by side? I don't think they look alike at all since the one on the right is fatter, shorter and has speckles.

Neither pitcher shown has a rear tendril attachment or curl so I would say both are intermediates.

These are both mine, and both growing from the same root system!! The one without stripes is from the larger vining growth point, and the stiped one is from it's 1.5 foot tall basal.
Those pitchers look completely different, so I don't think they are both intermediates.

Pitchers change as they mature... even within the lower pitcher phase. So I wouldn't be surprised that its just like any other nep as its pitchers get bigger, but in this case the pitchers become less spectacular.

From the looks of it, it might be in the upper pitcher phase, not all neps will follow the same conventional trends. Looking at the tendril, no loop as formed but it is evident that the tendril tried too... so I say they are more likely intermediates.

Weird, I never once saw pitchers like those on mine which looked exactly like your first pic.

Let's compare:

N. x Mixta

Lower - the one in the background is also an upper, but as you can see, the tendril is kind of twisted where the loop it was supposed make the loop.
DSC02440.jpg

Upper
DSC00079.jpg

what are we comparing? :scratch:

so.. should I take a pic of my entire plant now? ???

Just look at the differences between the two! On some neps the difference is very subtle.

Back