What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes sp. viking pics, and others...

One of my Nepenthes sp. viking plants produced a nice new pitcher recently, so I thought I might post a few pics of it, especially since it is still an undescribed species/form/hybrid.

I took photos during different stages of the pitcher's development...

97701376.jpg

Small bud (please disregard messy surroundings)...

96155854.jpg

...inflating...

97700941.jpg

...opened!

97700962.jpg

Side view of same pitcher.

97701005.jpg

Close-up of leaves.

I have also included a few (old) images of my N. sibuyanensis and N. spathulata:

61044751.jpg

61044781.jpg

Hope you like 'em,
Nep_grower.

Very nice! That viking has a strikingly rafflesiana like peristome, eh?

Viking is such a nice plant. I wish I could afford one. So far the closest thing to viking I have is rowanae..

Hi Nep_grower,
I really like that pitcher! It looks like rafflesiana all right.  I love the "meat" color! I may have to make room for that one.
Thanks for sharing,
Robin

Thanks for all your comments.  =)

N. sp. viking does indeed share many traits with N. rafflesiana, but that's one of the reasons I like it so much!

Here's a photo of an older pitcher showing the peristome in considerable detail:

97743086.jpg

Hi
Great photos,how big is the Sibuyanensis??
Bye for now Julian

Hi Chesara,

The plant was about 20 cm in diameter and the pitcher about 10 cm high.

Thanks,
Nep_grower.

how hard was it to get that viking? I notice the substrate you're using is mostly peat looking? is that what they generally grow in?

Well there is only one site that I know of which sells Vikings. It's not hard to get a N. sp. viking if you just search around - the prices start at about $25 for single plants depending on colouration, pitcher shape, etc. and can go up to several hundred dollars for the most impressive/large plants.

My plant is growing in 100% pure coconut fiber, as I have found it to be a good all-round potting medium (and it was also the only one I had at the time).

Where exactly did you get it?
I thought it was extinct!
When do you think it will enter mainstream cultivation?

N. sp. viking has been partially wiped out in the wild, but it is not extinct. Some of the plants further inland survived. Having said this, all plants that are currently in cultivation were propagated from wild plants prior to the Tsunami of 2004 (as far as I know).

I don't know if I am allowed to post a link to the Nursery I got it from??

you can post a link, since this forums is US based and well that nursery poses no commercial competition to this forum/store.

Nice link
smile.gif
I do like the Tiger.
Bye for now Julian

Ahh poor guys. We should start a program to restore "viking" to it's former habitat.

No wait. It will do that itself. Bad, Bad Tre must not interfer with non-endangered nature

I have a friend in Thailand who actually went to the area where N. sp. Viking grows. He says that neighboring species also sharing the region is also N. rafflesiana, ampullaria and N. thorellii (Thailand's N. thorellii is a pink-red in color) and he claims that the sp. Viking is a cross of thorelii by ampullaria or rafflesiana. There are also intermediate forms of this where there is an intergrade between each species.
His belief is that these species cross back every few generations to strengthen the gene pool and even though when back crossed to one specific species, the offspring has made some adaptive changes to become more evolved or advanced.

I believe that this is the case where N. Hookeriana is concerned. Some researchers say that N. Hookeriana should deserve some species status since its somewhat more plentiful than either species in some areas.

I would think that if anything, N. sp. viking is a cross between N. "thorelli" (smilesii?) and N. rafflesiana.  Having said that, when I look at photos of mature N. sp. viking pitchers they still look quite distinct to me.  The pitcher shape is unique, very squat and compact, a characteristic which the Thai nursery owner calls "Klom".  Also, the upper pitchers are very unlike those of either N. rafflesiana or N. "thorelli".

Apparently there is a cross between N. sp. viking and N. ampullaria, called N. "Siam King" (hybrid between N. ampullaria and "Satoon" form of N. sp. viking).

http://home.petflytrap.com/users....ngr.jpg

Back