What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes sibuyanensis

Hello,
I just purchased a Nepenthes sibuyunensis, and have it currently in highland conditions, but should I put it in lowland? It has a 5 inch leafspan. Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin,

From what I've read, N. sibuyanensis is a highland plant. It should be grown in highland or intermediate conditions. I have not grown one however. Yet.
tounge.gif

Capslock

Jebb & Cheek say 1350-1800 m which puts it roughly in the vicinity of N. ventricosa (1200-1500m) but probably would desire temps a bit cooler.

That said, I've had an N. sibuyanensis since about August in intermediate temps, 80%+ humidity, 400W metal halide lighting. It doesn't seem to be growing very well in this chamber alongside other plants who do just fine (N. truncata, maxima, sanguinea, assorted hybrids, etc.). No pitchers since arrival and maybe 3-4 leaves in that time. So I am thinking to moving it to the highland chamber when I get the new (bigger) model designed and built this winter.

I have had mine in highland (headed towards ultrahighland because o the weather) conditions and it grows really well. Four flourescent light fixtures, 80% humidity, 20-25C in the day, and 2-9C at night. The growing point on mine broke in shipping, but it continued developing pitchers that were already buds. One has already opened, two more are developing, and there is a new growth nipple (all of this in three weeks!). My pitcher grew between two pots, so not much coloration, but I think it is very pretty- here's a pic.
P1010059.sized.jpg

That's awesome. I had N. vogelii turn black during shipping in the growing point and nothing happening yet
sad.gif

Hi,
    Thanks for the replies. I will keep it in highland conditions, well, same as Trashcan, now ultrahighland from the temps. Outside last night at my house reached 10*F, and inside was cold too! (Though not that cold.) Thanks again, and very nice plant Trashcan!!!
                              Kevin

Dear all:

The majority of the nepenthes species from the Phillippines are either intermediates or lowlands. The word Highland does not apply for the following:

argentii
ventricosa
phillippinensis
petiolata
mindanaoensis
truncata.

Despite the fact that the majority of these have been previously described as highlands with the exception of phillippinensis, mindanaoensis, and truncata.

The only real highland species from the philllippines  is N. sibuyanensis. Thus, intermediate conditions won't suit this particular species.

Gus

I have to disagree gus, I would also place N. petiolata and N. argentii in highland conditions. Supposedly N. argentii does better with more airflow and cooler temps which is the exact opposite of what your describing. Are you grouping these plants based on your own expierences and observations or just due the elevation at which they are found?

Hi,

N. sibuyanensis is still a very slow growing and quite difficult plant for me. My clone grows best in intermediate and highland conditions but dislikes warm summer temperatures. From my experiences the light levels shouldn't be too high, a less bright place is prefered. Of course my plant doesn't originate from Rob and might prefer other conditions:

N_sibuyanensis_1203_A_med.jpg

N_sibuyanensis_1203_B_med.jpg

Joe, as soon as the growing tip of a seedling stage Nepenthes sadly there isn't much hope to get it back to life. Normally only bigger plants will survive such damage with a dormant node below the damaged area starting to grow.

Cheers Joachim

Joachim,

It's a rooted cutting from Malaysiana, so I will still hang on to hope .
ghostface.gif

Thanks,

Joe

I have a sibuyanensis question. Mine has a red tinge on the edge of the leaves. Is this a characteristic of the species, or just my clone? I have not seen any other pictures with this, but I have seen mostly young plants. Any thoughts?

n_sibuyanensis_leaf.jpg

EDIT: picture attached

Pat

Has anyone got any personal experience about the airflow need of N. argentii? As Dustin pointed out, it does grow high, and in a windy environment, so it would make sense. One of the interesting things about this species are the seed are less filiform(I hope that is the right term) than other Nepenthes seed, as it is NOT advantageous for them to go floating along like the other species. They would end up in the ocean.

Regards,

Joe

Joachim,
Very ncie plant!!

Pat,
Mine has the same leaf chararistic, except, mine alittle redder.
Kevin

Back