What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Review Threads

Chris_Himself

Nep'tard
Is anybody interested in starting Nepenthes species review threads so other can check them out to use when considering their next purchase? Maybe a subforum could be in order?

It's a really loose idea I just thought of it this morning. I know Joel's Nep's around the house website is up, but I feel that since I don't grow my nepenthes outside so his conditions might not be typical, many members can offer up their cumulative experience with a plant over the years and together we can form a general opinion on a plant?

Since I only have grown a small handful in the last year, I'm always asking everybody what they think about a certain plant, and what they do like, and don't like, etc.

So what do you think guys? :banana2:

This sounds like a great idea. I haven't been in the hobby for very long but I'd love to share what I've learned so far.

Sounds like a good idea to me:)

I'd love to share my experience as well, since my growing temps change with the seasons I have good info on the temp preferences of several neps.

Well how would we implement such a thing? I think if we can get Andrew to create a subforum, I could create a thread for each species. The thing is there are like 100 species and most of them are in cultivation so things could get rather hairy. I think for the most part just the more common in cultivation.

Maybe we could just make it available by request on this thread? I thought of it first as a readily accessible database that you could just click through, but maybe a request thread would work too. It might get disorganized though.

If we do, It should be for other plants, too. At least for the genus that have more than a dozen species, like drosera.

You might want to describe your growing conditions, too, as Neps perform differently in different conditions... a great idea, though!

I agree with whats been said above, very good idea.

Well, how do we get started? Andrew, where you at buddy?

A terrific idea! I always liked neparoundthehouse, but since it is only one guys input, it wouldn't be as thorough as a communal growing conditions forum.

Yeah I've been dying to get to know a few plants other than the short descriptions on nepsaroundthehouse and it would really eliminate the guesswork involved in picking plants.

A lot of us have written a lot of good material here and in the month I have been here, I've learned more and more on a daily basis and improved my limited confidence in tackling the species' wants and needs. I've learned a little on how to understand my plant and even though I was doing fine in growing them, I've developed a higher sense of respect for each plant in my small collection. We have some excellent authors on this board and thats why I've made the full switch to this forum.

So in forming a database of plant reviews (Drosera, Sarrs, Neps, etc) not only can we form a cumulative care guide on the species on an individual basis, but we can share the knowledge and opinions on some species that others might not have had the pleasure of growing yet. For instance, I'm curious about N. Ramispina, N. Ovata, and N. Sibuyanensis but would I make a new thread every time a plant piques my interest? It'd be totally awesome and we'd attract a lot of new forum members to contribute (and customers of the store) if we had a one stop shop for readily accessible information.

As Clue said, describing the growing conditions you have them in would be a good way for people to identify with the grower who closest maintains the same conditions and go from there. It'd be like yelp for plants!

I just have no idea how to start?

What about a subforum with 1 thread/subforum for each species, maybe a sticky at the top with confirmed environmental requirements at the top and open discussion for everyone who has questions regarding cultivation or experience to share ?

edit: or maybe a closed forum with interesting posts in the other forums archived in the species thread.

hmm not sure what happened in the past month and half that this topic hasnt been re-visited.

Maybe the beginning of the growing season kept everyone busy ?

Oh all I did was just ask questions about individual species. I think I started an N. Khasi thread that was pretty successful. At least it'll come up in the search function?

Back