What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes pots

I wonder what veteran Nepenthes growers think about drilling holes in plastic pots in an effort to increase air circulation.  Recently I’ve been drilling half-inch diameter holes – about 30 of them – in gallon-sized plastic pots.  I then used the pots to transplant Nepenthes in long fibered sphagnum moss.  It takes about 5 minutes to make the holes for one pot.  The pot ends up looking like it’s been blasted with a shotgun (which would be faster, but I don’t have a shotgun).  Will the holes help?  Or am I just wasting my time?

Plenty of people use aquatic plant baskets as pots... those are basically made of plastic mesh... tons of holes.

I use 14" hanging baskets with coconut liners.

I would highly recommend buying some with holes already in them. Maybe at your local hydroponics store. They have made a huuge difference in the health of my plants. I would also recommend coconut chips, or something similar to open up your LFS, and prevent root rot.

Hope that helps,
Robin
smile.gif

Back