What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AH! MY EYES!

I need to jump in here and copy/paste a post I made on petpitcher regarding naming conventions....

Names aren't supposed to be put into quotations anymore. The proper naming conventions are:
for species: N. gracilis
natural hybrids: N. cantleyi or N. bicalcarata x gracilis (or the reciprocal)
horticultural hybrids: N. Dyeriana or N. x dyeriana

If you include the X, there MUST be a space between it and the name of the plant. One of my pet peeves is seeing people write "N. xtrusmadiensis". That you mean you'd pronounce the x, which is not correct.

The only time quotes should be included are when naming specific traits/properties, i.e. N. gracilis "sport". However, varietal and subspecies names never use quotes, but are not in italics IIRC, i.e. N. mirabilis var. echinostoma

Random since no one will probably ever have to use this in Nepenthes culture, but graft chimeras are represented with a "+" instead of an X.

(Yes, I realize my growlist is all messed up, but I made it over the course of years and haven't corrected it like I should)

AH! MY EYES!

lol. Sorry about that. Are all those correct now? I copied and pasted from my old grow list the hybrids. I'm trying to be better about nomenclature when posting. So, not to further off-topic this, but, with your quoted examples:

N. Black Dragon AND N. x black dragon are acceptable since they are horticultural hybrids?

xvart.

UHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot. I'm looking for the place I foudn all this but I'm having trouble locating it. Should've bookmarked it

I moved our discussion from the other thread.

UHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot. I'm looking for the place I foudn all this but I'm having trouble locating it. Should've bookmarked it

Yeah, I've searched several times for a good place with all naming information. It seems all the Grex registry stuff comes to the top of the searches these days. The reason I asked

N. Black Dragon AND N. x black dragon are acceptable since they are horticultural hybrids?

is because of the uppercase and lowercase. It seems a little trivial that the X gets dropped and then capital letters get added and vice versa.

xvart.

Personally, I prefer capitalization with no X. It looks much better and cleaner, and is better for lists I think. If I can find that site again, I'll post it.

Another thing I forgot to mention...
N. Splendiana x Rokko must be factored out to:
N. [(anamensis x maxima) x (thorelii x maxima)]

Back