What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes nectar production and flavor comparison

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
I've only got one plant that's really drooling at the moment but it's got a good amount on it at the moment to where I felt compelled to see what the flavor was like. I think it would be fun if we could document which Nepenthes produce loads of nectar and what each plant might taste like.

N. talangensis x glandulifera - I think the closest thing I could compare the flavor of this plant to is agave syrup. Very light, yet sweet flavor.

That is some serious nectar. My N. maxima (Wavy Leaf) makes a pretty good amount, sometimes it has little puddles on the tray below. I have admittedly tasted it, and it was sweet. I'll have to try it again with a more discerning pallet and try to make a comparison.

Don't have any data to add, but I'm wondering how different nectars might do in attracting different kinds of bugs. My raff. x amp. had a few ants crawling over it yesterday, and I can say that they love my Sarras too.

By the by, you didn't have an urge to fall into the pitcher, did you? :p

If I was small enough to do so, I would have become victim to my Nepenthes long ago. :lol:

Back