What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Miranda

Hello, I have been looking at a Nepenthes Miranda and am very interested in getting one. My only problem is i hear it gets very big. I do not mind this but i wanted it to be a house plant. I would be okay with it getting very tall i just do not know if it will be okay as a house plant. What do you guys think about this?
Thanks

Nick

If you can supply enough light and humidity I think you should be able to have success with this plant. Enough light being a windowsill that provides at least a small amount of direct sunlight. Relative humidity for pitchering seems to need to be above 40%. If you can't supply enough natural sunlight you could always use an ordinary compact fluorescent bulb placed about a foot away from the plant as a supplement, this could especially be useful in the winter. Further I have found that frequent misting of the plants can help improve pitchering. I would also recommend a humidifier in the winter. Best of luck.

Nepenthes 'Miranda' is one of the most common Nepenthes available, often sold at regular garden centers as a house plant alongside Nepenthes X Ventrata which is usually labelled as Nepenthes alata. It should make a great houseplant but as you said, it can get quite large. You can always cut it back if it gets too big for your liking. As long as you have reasonable humidity in your house and a partly sunny window, the plant should do fine.

Thank you for the quick answers. The light will not be a problem but my house gets dry most of the day. We have a humidifier running during the winter to try and help. If i mist the plant leaves will it be okay? If there is not enough sunlight or humidity what does the plant do to let you know? Also what is the best substrate for this plant in a house? Thank you

Well, the plant will not die if there is insufficient humidity, assuming it isn't a rapid change. Other than refusing to pitcher the most common symptoms of light defficiency are weak stretched out growth that is soft and a deep green color. Plant's that get plenty of light will often have smaller leaves with a waxy cuticle and lighter green leaves, often with a slight yellow cast. Insufficient humidity usually just causes a plant to fail to pitcher. Given enough time a plant like Miranda may adapt to lower humidity and send out the occasional pitcher, but to truly thrive they need at least moderate humidity.

What would be a good humidity? Also will the plant be okay without any support for the vine?

Back