What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes "Miranda"

I just purchased a nepenthes "Miranda" today at a local nursery and I was wondering what specific cultivation environment that they prefer. Please let me know because I really like this nep and I don't want to lose it.

Also I was wondering what it is a hybrid of?

I grow mine hanging over the kitchen sink during the winter. In spring, I put it outside and leave it there 'til temps start dropping into the 40's in the fall. Don't let it dry out too much or it won't pitcher. Mine only pitchers when it's outside, never in the window.

The cross is ({northiana x maxima} x maxima).

Does it need to be misted?
What are the normal temps that it likes?

I knew that they had some N. maxima in them

well it gets REALLY big so keep that in mind. they will do fine in your house. pretty hardy. alot like ventricosa but it is MUCH prettier!!
Alex

what do the upper pitchers look like?

I can tell that they get pretty BIG, because whenever I bought it today it had a 12" pitcher on it, but sadly on the way home it and another got pulverized by a gargoyle falling on it.

like this.
the left ones are more normal than the right ones.
Alex

PS. not only do the pitchers get big but the leaves get huge too! Adnedarn's plant has huge leaves...i would say the plant is a little more than 2ft across not including pitchers and tendrils
Alex

the one that I bought is already a foot and a half wide.

wow. so how much was it?!

not bad. well good luck on your new giant!
Alex

What does N. northiana contribute to this hybrid?

uh... SIZE!! and probably the cherry red persimtone

75% maxima, 25% northiana.

EDIT: Oh, I guess you meant actual features. Nevermind.

so how big does Maxima normally get?

what about Northiana?

northiana gets really big while maxima can get a bit bigger than ventricosa(from what i have seen)
Alex

Farmer Dave,

You can't go wrong with Miranda. You're in Fla, if I remember correctly, but I don't know which part - I would bring it in in the winter if you get 30's or lower durring the winter.

Other than that, this sucker is bomb proof. It can even be acclimated to full sun (if you do it SLOWLY - I burned the &$%@! out of mine this spring).

With regards to water, I usually let mine get pretty close to bone dry before watering again, but I really shouldn't. It pitchers better when I remember to water it more often.

I wouldn't worry about humidity, so misting is not needed. This plant will pitcher with humidity down into the 30's so long as you keep it watered.

Ok! Thanks!

I guess that I won't have to worry about humidity at all, because it
seems to be 60 percent humidity in my house, Which has a dehumidifier running almost constantly, so it has to be pretty humid outside as well.

Back