What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes 'Miranda' pollen available (free)

Hey folks -

I know it's a common cultivar, but if anyone is interested, I have a Nepenthes 'Miranda' that's flowering right now. I'd be happy to send the pollen away to anyone interested in making crosses involving this popular and robust cultivar. A few seed in return if it produces any would be kind, but is not expected.

Do you have any female plants in flower right now?

PM me your address and I'll send some pollen along.

Cheers,
Ryan Kitko

I thought that Miranda plants were sterile and could only be divided or crossed? Though I could be wrong.

Remag, as far as I know, all 'Miranda' clones are male. So yes, they need to be crossed or propagated by cuttings. It's really just a complex hybrid. Hybridizing to another species or hybrid should produce seed, I think, unless someone can tell me why this particular clone wouldn't.

Miranda is all the same mass produced male clone, and it is though by some to be a triploid or some such genetic aberration..so it has proven to be sterile except in a small handful of cases.

Miranda is thought to be [Maxima x northiana] x maxima

Exo: Thanks for the info! I had no idea. This info is hard to come by easily unless you know, I guess. Mine came from Deroose Nurseries, so it's the same as all the others. Still, if anyone wants to try...

It'd be interesting to investigate this further. Are there any other examples of sterility in Nepenthes crosses?

Exo: Thanks for the info! I had no idea. This info is hard to come by easily unless you know, I guess. Mine came from Deroose Nurseries, so it's the same as all the others. Still, if anyone wants to try...

It'd be interesting to investigate this further. Are there any other examples of sterility in Nepenthes crosses?

There is a huge clone of N.ventricosa...the "denver clone: that is a supposedly sterile female...and I have a rooted cutting af a similar female plant that I got as ventricosa x burkei that may be the same thing, as it is also reportedly sterile.

I find it funny how clones like 'Miranda' or 'Lady Pauline' turn out to be males. I wonder if they have a complex.

I find it funny how clones like 'Miranda' or 'Lady Pauline' turn out to be males. I wonder if they have a complex.

Hah! As I understand it, it's common in dioecious plant genera that males dominate the population.

Yeah I know. Just still thought it was funny. Females names for male plants.

Hah! As I understand it, it's common in dioecious plant genera that males dominate the population.

They're still in the 19th century I guess :devil:

Back