What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes maxima indoors or outdoors?

I just received a nepenthes maxima and I'm wondering if I should put it indoors or outside. If indoors it would have to be put on a western window with filtered light (because of the shutters). Outside it would get more humidity and temperatures from 60-90 F, but would receive direct afternoon sunlight.(I live in Florida) Which of these sounds like a better option?

I think it depends more on your opinion. N. maxima is a very tolerant species to a wide range of conditions, and is perfectly fine with everything from heavily filtered to direct sunlight. Only concern is bringing it inside if you put it out whenever a frost might be expected.

What hcarlton said is absolutly true. The only thing I would add is that, unless you want to keep your plant well pruned, you will eventually need quite a bit of room in that West window.

I would certainly put it outside and bring in when temps drop into the 50's in the winter. Florida is great for growing Nepenthes and nothing beats natural sunlight.

Back