What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes macfarlarnie

rapture

BANNED
I am thinking about getting one of theese beautiful plants. Would it be hard to grow around the coast of southern CA, where it sometimes gets into the 80s during the day, and cools down considerably at night? Humidity 40-60% (higher at night).

The daytime humidity sounds a little low. If the temperatures are 80F+ during the day, the nep will need more humidity.

Hard say exactly... N. macfarlanei has fairly thick leaves and with careful conditioning it might grow ok. I would expect that you might find it sometimes doesn't pitcher well or they may be short lived depending on the humidity. Here is a good website to check out from another grower in coastal southern CA. Nepenthes around the house
Tony

Thanks. Tony, I was just about to say that guy grows a lot of nepenthes outside in CA. If I make the effort to mist it for a while and acclimate it, it should do ok, right? By the way, I plan to get a squat, red form of the plant. How large does this species get (hight, leaf length, pitcher size, etc.)? Thanks.

The two N. macfarlanei clones I grow won't pitcher under these conditions at all. They need much higher humidity levels to pitcher well. AFAIK N. macfarlanei grows in mossey forest in the wild.

Joachim

I have seen that site before. Boy that makes me sick, seeing how those plants are surviving so easily. The N. x Dyeriana grown inside as window plant looks really good-no misting or anything. Maybe I need to move to California, lol.

Joe

Hmm, jealousy
wink.gif

Jeese. This guy grows !!raja!! and !!macrophylla!! outside! If he can do it, then so can I
mad.gif

Back