What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes macfarlane in nature

Hi All,

This is my first time posting in this forum and would like to share these few photos while taking a trip to West Malaysia. Home of some nice Nepenthes sp. Enjoy!

c31.jpg

c36.jpg

c27.jpg

Happy growing!
Nepsy

Awesome! Amazingly easy to spot, compared to some local pictures I have seen.

Thanks,

Joe

Beautiful work, "Nepsy".  Photos of plants in situ are fascinating and informative.  Thank you for posting, KPG

Thanks for sharing these photos! It's always interesting to note growth habits in the wild and see what other flora exist around the plant and potential interactions. Very cool.
smile.gif

Looks like some great photography to me! Those specimens are very vibrant, too!
Wouldn't mind adding one to my collection. Well, except that they'd be poached.

-D. Lybrand

<span style='color:teal'>Magnificent pictures and beautiful pitchers!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Do all N. macfarlanei turn into this vivid red? Or is this only a variety?</span>

Hello,
thanks for the pics, just curious to know, which mountain did you climb? I have been to Gng Brinchang before but never saw the pitchers upclose...only dangling in trees several metres up...
were you at genting area (I think Gng Ulu kali or something right?)
thanks

Hi all:

Simply breathtaking!. It brings me back to something I would like to ask to RbtJong and Nepsy since they are in touch with neps in nature.
How many functional pitchers a plant has at any time under natural conditions?. It'd be fantastic to understand that because if we know that for example macfarlanei has only two functional pitchers in these photos, would that be an indication that the plant is under optimal growing conditions?.
Of course, if you are going to find a plant half dead on the road because of the actions of a nasty bird or reptile or wild pig that should not count. Only plants that according to our criteria are in good health and producing pitchers. Flowering would be another indication of a plant's health, but not a exclusive one.

Gus

Hi guys,

Thank you for all the kind words.

It's my pleasure to share these photos with everyone, especially when it could help us to see the real habitat of these magnificient plants.

These photos were taken at a attitude of about 1700 - 1800 meter above sea level before noon. Temperature there was between 16-18 degress celcius with constant cold breeze blowing and very saturated mist. (you can see the substrate is very wet always). Light intensity is 60% -70% shade. Probably due to the early noon. However, during my entire stay in the habitat. Very light rain were experience.

Hope that these data are useful to everyone.

@emilias_garden - Almost all of the pitchers there are vibrant red. Very striking indded.

@Lam_wn - I apologised that I cannot confirm the location name of the road as I was wondering about before seeing these plants.

@agustinfranco - About the number of functional pitchers. There were not many per species. Probably its vines were running everywhere for the older inbetween other local plants so I can't really figure out how many functional ptchers per species. But for those that I could see and were in the photo here. Those of each individual plant indeed don't carry lots of them, perhaps about 3-4 pitchers max with very healthy pitchers and vibrant coloration.

Happy growing.
Nepsy

hi nepsy what is the species population - do they grow within the area where you found ?

Robert

Hi Robert,

The population are not dense rather sparely distributed 2 - 3 meters apart each plant. And the number are not many. Yes, they do grow only within the area.

However, I do see some smaller plants within the vincinity and on the slope where mosses grow. They are about 2 - 3 inches in leaf span.

Happy growing.
Nepsy

Back