What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes longifolia

G

I may be getting this plant. Does anyone have info on it? You know, cultivation, possible size.

nathaniel there is some info in Neps/jeff web page "plants w/ attitude". that is all i could find even w/ running googles there was only pictures of the plant realy no info on it.

From what I have read, and from what others have told me, this plant should be treated like a typical lowland nepenthes, with the exeption that it greatly prefers shaded conditions. I recieved my plant from Troy (fatboy) in Bali, and I have it under shaded conditions for almost the entire day (30 minutes of sun during the early morning). It's looking alright now, and I'm hoping that it'll make a pitcher sometime next month.

Jœl

Mindmaze, how much humidity does it need, and how fast does it grow. The only place I could find info was at plants with attitude.

Um uh...

hehe

I've only had this plant for 2 months, so I can't really comment on how fast it grows (as a matter of fact, it got over the shock from the trip just a week or 2 ago). As for humidity, I keep it outside along with my other neps, and the humidity fluctuates a lot (A HELLUVALOT!
wow.gif
) out there, from 50% to 100%, although it's been a faily wet autum so far. Considering, however, that in nature this plant is found growing in tropical forests (stagnant air and high humidity), I should strive to keep the humidity as high as possible.

I could be wrong though.
Maybe some of the more informed members could give us a hand...
wink.gif

Jœl

With it's low light preference, and if it could tolerate low humidity, it could make the ultimate houseplant
smile.gif
. I'll try searching for more info.

I don't remember where I read it, perhaps one of Charles Clarkes books, but isn't N. longifolia somehow related to N. sumatrana or there was some kind of confusion over the two?

Yes, in Neps of Sumatra Charles Clarke says that N longifolia was considered a synonym of N sumatrana, but that they are now considered seperate species by a whole bunch of slightly different characteristics. If you look at the pitchers from both plants, the look very similar. The problem with longifolia now (according to Neps of Sumatra) is that another named species, N beccariana, might be the same species as N longifolia, and since it was named first (N beccariana), N longifolia would have to be renamed N beccariana!
wow.gif
How confusing! :s

Jœl

Back