What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes leaves turning black

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Hello,

My Nepenthes alata plants have leaves that are starting to turn black at the tips. It has not pitchered well since I bought it, but I know this is due to my temperatures being too high for the plant. I hope to correct this by the end of the month.

Soil has been kept moist. I do mist it once a day and the humidity level is always above 70%.

Both plants have 3-5 new shoots growing off the main stem around the base of the plant.

Any idea why the leaves are turning black?

Thanks,

Nick

yeah that is happening to my maxima exept the pitchers are turning black! 3 pitchers have gone from green to black in a month! 1 is just the tips,though
sad.gif

hmm, my guess would be, if the plant calls for a certain temp at night, and your temps are above this, then eventually the plant is gonna die , slowly, but will die, i think thats why the black is happening.

ccrider

oh yeah, think about where your insects are coming from, if your house has been sprayed for pests, etc. and watch for drafts too!

One thing I forgot to mention about the plants. They have grown 8 inches since I bought them. I have at least 3 large growing stems on each.

hmm old leaves I wouldn't be concerned but if it is younger leaves or all the leaves then there is a problem. You say it is the temperature but yet you don't tell us the temperature range the plant is being subjected too!!!
confused.gif
?

Other possible causes would be too high a dose of fertilizer or perhaps hard water or built up salts in the potting mix over time.

T

Temperatures are between 65-80°F. I have given both plants a foliar feeding of superthrive: 1 drop/gallon. I did not put any in the soil mixture. At one point about a week ago, my East facing window was left unshaded for about 3 hours. Could this be signs of sun burn?

Quick condition breakdown:
Temp: 65-80°F

Humidity: 70%-90%

Water: I have been watering with either distilled or rain water. The soil mix has been kept damp at all times and has not dried out at any point.

Light: Under flourescent lighting and sunlight from a North window.

Here is a photo of one of the leaves.

NepAlataBlackLeaves.jpg

looks like sunburn. Was that leaf facing or have you noticed if it is all on the side that was facing the East window?

Thing about sunburn is there is usually an area around the really burned part that is only damaged and it fades into healthy tissue. It also is characterized by not continuing to enlarge after the initial damage unless the sunburn reoccurs again. Rot, disease, problems with salts, insects etc show steadily enlarging areas of damage without treatment.
Tony

It kind of just looks like an aging leaf to me
confused.gif
. If the leaves are more toward the base of the stem, that's probably what it is.

Back