What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NEPENTHES IZUMIAE IS LIVING WITH ME!!

Dear all:

After several months of drooling over the computer screen looking at the "dark beauty's pictures", It is finally with ME, here in my home!!!!!. Well, i guess i would like to share these pics with all of you.

nepizumiae0001.JPG

The biggest pitcher

nepizumiae0002.JPG
underneath the lid

nepizumiae0003.JPG

The smaller pitcher

If anybody has any questions about this queen, please just ask

Your nepenthaholic colleague

Gus

I know it's probably not polite to ask but how much was it? (PM me if you wish) It looks quite large and I'd expect it was not cheap.

And of course, do they have more this size?
wink.gif

Hi Swords, yes it costs as much as a N. jacquelinae; however, this one is a big plant so I am very pleased with it. It won't be long until i try some cuttings with it.

P.S. I am sure this plant will hit the U.S. Market soon

Gus

Agustin:
Either your N. jacquilineaes are really expensive, or you got a great deal on a plant that size/condition!! If it's ok with you, I'll post a more informal post on the boards, otherwise, I'd like to discuss it via P.M. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW PLANT!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
unclesam.gif
cool.gif
blues.gif

Dear all:

I have been told by some members of the forum (privately) that N. jacquelinae varies in price in a wide range. so I guess the price of N. argentii would be more appropriate for N. izumiae at this stage. Sorry if i mislead anyone.

Gus

Still not shocking! Most people don't realize how much cuttings or large plants of true species Neps are since all they ever see available for the most part is 1" - 3" diameter plants.

Unlike orchids where the (accredited) hybrids sell for way more than the true species (non wild collected plants anyway), Neps are the opposite.

It's a very nice plant and worth every penny I'm sure!
smile.gif

Too bad it'd be over $100 for me just to cover the customs paperwork and shipping from those folks. That's not including plant price!

Good to be back. I know, I was thinking about ordering from them several times, but the price of shipping and phyto sanitary, as well as lack of true species to choose from always detured me. Um, just so I'm sure, we are allowed to post names of suppliers and prices, and stuff like that now, right?

Nobody's naming names or anything (contact gus for the name and details by PM if you like). But the source of his plant has tons of great species, it's just that most of them are not listed as being large and for sale. Now that I know I have proper conditions I would be more than happy to begin buying cuttings from large plants, you just can't find em very often... He's lucky (and I'm jealous)!

This source of his plant does make some of their own very nice hybrids (such as the N. aristolochioides x thorelii). But my real desire is to make my own hybrids with my species plants, not grow other peoples hybrids!

I don't think that rule has come into effect quite yet nate. But i belive it is coming soon.

Hi everybody:

I just want to say that here in Australia, i am dying to get a nep jacquelinae, Nep platychila, and a couple of other types. but nobody has them. It is the same story with you for other species that we have in Australia. So Swords, please don't feel like that. Instead of wasting energy in thinking when to get a new species i think we should all unite and try to break the red tape when it comes to phytosanitary certificates, import permits and all the other trash that we have to go through. I understand that some permits must be obtained to protect the environment as well as unique species, but again, some governments go out of their way and over enforce their laws. As a result we have people like me longing for a jacquelinae or a platychila and people like Josh longing for an Izumiae. I hope you all understand where i am coming from.

Gus

Yes, the CITES rules do make things a hassle (and more expensive) for hobbyists. Even more harrying for orchid and Nepenthes botanists who must try to obtain scientific CITES permits so they may legally transport botanical sheets of unknown/unnamed species or else figure out a way to "break the red tape" in another sense.

As for rallying together to get the CITES laws changed, for either independent sceintists, hobbyists or nurseries... you might have a better chance ressurecting Ben Franklin and teaching him how to send email! These laws were created by lawyers and based on 19th century collecting practices. Not based on the conservational botanists of today who take selected pieces (seed) or one example of an entre community for study and getting the species into captivity. These days it is very unlikely that any botanists are hiking through the rainforests wth chainsaws, felling an entire area of forest to 'hide' the location of a rare species of orchid or Nepenthes (as was common 100-200 years ago).

CITES laws were/are backed by several politically powerful botanical and zoological societies who have their own ways of "breaking the red tape". Any researcher can tell you there are certain institutions who are free to trade hassle free in any species whereas if one of "us" (meaning hobbyists or independent botanists) were to try the same thing we would at the least loose our shipment. Recieve a huge fine and possibly risk a raid and confiscation of our collections (provided your collection is not documented with receipts and invoices for all your CITES protected species).

I don't like paying the paperwork fees but it beats the alternative. Just one bust on a single shipment of even one plant (even a dead dried one) can open a whole can of worms with the customs and wildlife departments. That kind of bust can dog you for a long time-not to mention make yourself a headline story in the newspapers! From what I've read on breaking CITES laws, I'm pretty surprised at the USDA and US Fish & Wildlife Dept. for not revoking Griffins import permit and possibly confiscating whatever undocumented CITES listed species he has in his collection.

Dear Josh:

I agree with you 300%. However, let's not give up. There must be away to change those rules. They can't stay there forever!!. Next major CITES conference, I am willing to write a letter of complaint. If anybody wants to join in, please let me know.

Gus

There's big time nurseries around the world who agree with these points concerning CITES and plant regulation. The beaurocrats want to make it even tougher, and there are lobby groups working against this. There is an attempt to stop all trade of certain plants, including orchids, and the American Orchid Society has successfully lobbied on behalf of all orchid growers. It's international politics and requires lots of money and lawyers.

Trent

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i think we should all unite and try to break the red tape when it comes to phytosanitary certificates, import permits and all the other trash that we have to go through. I understand that some permits must be obtained to protect the environment as well as unique species, but again, some governments go out of their way and over enforce their laws.

For a start, CITES and phytosanitary certs are nothing to do wth each other.

Phytosanitary certificates are to certify that the plant that you are buying is in good health. If you don't care enough about your country that you are willing to introduce new diseases to save yourself a few $$ then there's nothing I can do to change your attitude. What I can do is point out that if you try looking it from a purely selfish point of view (and I'm going to bite my tongue here) you are also getting a guarantee that the plants you are buying are healthy before you see them for yourself so you won't receive them and have them die on you from some disease a few days later.

The theory behind CITES is also sound. A few months ago I was literally wading through a field of Paphs on a mountain in Sumatra, what was to stop me stuffing them all into my bag and then flogging them on the net once I got them all home? Locally I wouldn't get anything for them and no one overseas could buy them because of CITES restrictions.
I agree that in some cases the implementatrion leaves a lot to be desired but until a better alternative comes along it's the best thing we've got in place and I for one am happy to see it there for the moment.

Cheers, Troy.

the only thing i would like is a easyer way to obtain these forms and certificates. Zongyi

If you fill out the application it is a rather simple matter of waiting to obtain a general import permit for private (non business use). It is the person you buy the plants from which must supply the Phyto and CITES documents with each plant that you order. Most sellers will transffer this cost to you the buyer, but others who do a volume business may be able to supply these documents at no cost (or no apparent cost).

If you wish to start a plant import/export business so you can send CITES listed species across international borders from your address then you will need to purchase the correct permit(s). This type of permit is not free and is not the same as the one mentioned above which simply takes a few weeks waiting to recieve.For the CITES and Phyto you will need to contact your local Wildlife Management Agency. Be sure to read all the paperwork for all sorts of things. Such as, in the US import permit manual the site where you grow Appendix 1 species for retail (greenhouse, terrarium, etc)  is subject to inspection at any time that the Wildlife Dept feels it may be necessary.

The easiest/best thing to do is go by the books. Get your permit, pay the extra dough for the paperwork (from the plant dealers) and buy from internatonal nurseries who have a reputation of selling quality plants and having reliable customer service (extending credit for plants killed in transit). A cheap plant might be just that, and coming without paperwork that cheap plant could end up costing you a bundle. When following the rules for simple hobbyists (not nursery owners or independent botanists) generally there's "no worries". Provided your packages don't sit in customs for two weeks and things start dying!

Hi all:

Maybe we should focus on more exciting things. Check this new pitcher. check the shape and size. it is amazing......!!

Gus

izumiaebaby0001.JPG

If I am not mistaken, this beautiful N. izumiae is named after Fatboy/Troy's wife Izumi. A nice way to honor someone you love.
smile.gif

Nice plant Agustin. Congratulations.

Back