What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi
I'm new of this forum, and I hope to open a discussion not yet done, if it was already done, are there some news?

The starting question is:
can a Nepenthes as rajah, burbidgeae or others, considered difficult, live and pitcher with a right balanced of humidity, light, shade and other variables out in garden in temperate regions (from spring to autumn)?
Is there someone that tried?
Out of discussion are for example: khasiana, ventricosa , alata, truncata...etc

Regards

rajah
smile.gif

Ultrahighlands require a hefty temperature drop at night, their cultivation conditions must be exacting. I don't know many people who have Rajah, and I don't know any of them that would risk their plant in an experiment like that.
confused.gif

For ultra highlands, that temperature drop is just to critical.

Well there is Axel's rajah grown on a window with no special treatment so...

Hi !
I now that with N.villosa would be impossible,
But when I read information on some Nepenthes, for example rajah has a wide range of altitude (if I'm not wrong from 1600 m to 2200 m), burbidgeae is less highland (1200 m - 1600 m)
pilosa and rhombicaulis like shade (so the North face of an house with fresh North wind would be good also in summer, of temperate clime) and so on... in general plants are very adaptable, if you have a strong starting clone, so I asked myself wich highlands could be cultivated in a different way from the traditional and well known one.
When I saw this forum I thought that some growers has done any sort of experiment to try to understand well how plastic are our beautiful plants.

Regards

rajah

A friend tried this last year.
When I visited him in September he had a rajah, lowii and macrophylla hangiging in his appletree.
I made a few pictures but they went out very bad...

http://www.drosophyllum.com/deutsch/versuche.htm
(you have to scroll down to the last topic)

The plants are growing and pitchering (in Germany) but you still need a terrarium/ greenhouse for the cold part of the year and propably for the hottest summer days, too.
The plants must acommodate at least twice a year to new conditions (terrarium -> outside and outside -> terraium) so I wouldn't recommend it.

Martin

Well, unless you live on Mt. Kinabalua you can grow a Nepenthes Rajah right on your windowsill.
smile.gif
Um no rajah I don't think it would be possible. First of all, pests would be a big issue as would humdity and most importantly temperature. Just curious but how would you manage to drop the area around the plant at night to the 50's from let's say 9 at night to 6-8 in the morning? It would be impossible unless you had 2 AC's blowing on it all night with a VERY high amount of humidity from an over head sprayer. I personally would say yeah you can grow a Khasiana and a Truncata outside if they have been adapted to the outside conditions for 8 months or so. But not for the Ultrahighlands too risky and too rare. Just go with a different one!
smile.gif

BTW, here's pic of my Rajah, now at 5 and 1/2 inches diameter or a little less than 15 cm. Also pictured are N.Lowii and N.Hamata. Hamata- about same as Rajah and Lowii 3 inches diameter or 7-8 cms?

11159105-c191-01600120-.jpg

Left to right: N.Hamata,N.Lowii,N.Rajah

NG instead of telling him what he can't grow outside why don't we try to figure out what he could grow. Rajah could you please list the conditioins you can providde outside.

I did. </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I personally would say yeah you can grow a Khasiana and a Truncata outside if they have been adapted to the outside conditions for 8 months or so.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
smile.gif
I am just replying to the post as "Why can't Rajah be grown outside." I am trying to add to the topic and trying to help.

I think more could have been added as to what he could grow. N. khasiana, ventricosa , alata, truncata,gracilis, reinwardtiana, rafflessiana,ampullaria, and maybe a couple more if rajah lives in a good location could be grown outside. Now they might not be able to survive outside all year round, but once we know the conditions he lives we'll be able to further help.

I was just giving him a ballpark idea to what he could grow outside in his garden. It depends if he's in a lowland hot climate or a cool winter liek one what ones he can grow outsides for parts of the year.

I think it depends greatly on what your climate is like. If your in an area that has decent humidity on a steady basis that will play the biggest factor. My experience with growing various highlands on a windowsill was that they would grow decently but pitcher production was sporadic and they often would be short lived. Burbidgeae seemed to do decently.
Tony

um... guys... let's not call each other to task in public please?

(Like I just did.) Seriously though... don't do it.

Pyro, while Axil may be able to do it in germany, I couldn't do it here, he gets natural temperature shifts I am not capable of re-producing...

but your right, we would need to know more environmental information...

but when it comes right down to it, I don't think many people out there, as martin said, can acclimate the plant twice a year without hurting it...

and when heaters and air conditioners and other moisture stripping devices are mixed into the mix... well... It just doesn't work out to a good idea in my mind.

for anyone having trouble with inches and centimetres i believe it is 2.5 centimetres equals 1 inch, as says my ruler wich has both on it
wink.gif

My N. sanguinea is growing outside for about three months now and does quite well. Living in Germany at about 500m asl does help of course with night temps normally dropping below 15 deg. It sits in a shady position out of direct sunlight where also mosses do grow. It didn't stop pitcher production but of course was grown quite hardy before moving it outside.

N_sanguinea_0702_small.jpg

(or in better resolution: http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/N_sanguinea_0702.jpg )

The N. gracilis I had sitting next to it didn't like it and also seems to taste much better to bugs eating the leafes.

Joachim

Hi !
Now I try to explain in detail the climate of my region.
I live in North of Italy and my village is at 300 m upon the sea lavel, I have a small lake at 400 m from my home that I think influences a bit for humidity.
-Sping: temperature range from 10 C - 23 C, humidity range from 60 % to 90 %
-Summer: temperature range from 23 C - 31 C, humidity range from 55 % to 85 % when the thunder-storm come also im August the temperature drop from 18 C to 20 C
-Autumn: temperature range from 12 C - 25 C, humidity range from 65 % to 90 %
-winter: temperature range from (-3) C - 10 C, humidity range from 65 % to 95 %
There are in average ten times a year that a strong wind drops humidity at 35%
In winter I move my Nepenthes in home on a windowsill in a southface window of my home and the temperature in that room is from 15 C to 21 C humidity range from 60 % to 95 % minimus photoperiod 8 hours 2 of direct sun.

Regards

rajah

Its sounds like you could grow some of the easey to grow and more demanding highlanders outside all year, well not in winter though. I don't think the lowlanders would do so well though. Sounds like N.Burbidgeae would do well. If you do try that one out tell use how it goes!

I’ll order at the end of August N.burbidgeae and perhaps N.pilosa, I have an answer about the first one:
does someone grow N.rajah and N.burbidgeae together ? Wich grows faster in the same conditions ?

About one month an half I bought N.sanguinea and N.rajah bare root. The first one was a rosette of 9 cm in diameter with one pitcher of 2 cm while N.rajah a rosette of 5cm and 3 pitchers the larger of 1 cm. I put them after potted in a little terrarium for increase humidity and then placed outdoor.
I thought tha N.sanguinea was faster than N.rajah above all in summer.
Instead I observed a strange thing : in condition not proper of highland for temperature (temps from 23 C to 31 C) N.rajah is now opening the third pitchers while N.sanguinea opened only one.
WHY ??
They also take direct sun for 2 hours after 6 PM.

Regards
rajah

I wouldnt grow N. rajah and N. burbidgea together because N. rajah likes nightly lows in the 50s and N. burbidgea is reluctant pitcher in temps below 60. If you want the degrees in Celius then I can get them for you, but I am not good with Celius and I dont want to do more work than I have to. Good Luck.

Rajah, it jsut depends on your conditions the plants are in why they have only opened like 1 or 2 pitchers. Your sanguinea will be definetly faster than Rajah!
smile.gif
Rajah and Burbidgeae can/could be grown together. Rajah can have lows around 60 but Burbidgeae can actually go to like 57 fior a nightly low. And it should pitcher well. Both palnts wouldn't grow to thier best ability but woudl grow surprizingly fine, IMO. Also direct sun after 6 is pretty hot sun! Late afternoon sun is very hot and burning! But perhaps you could put up a small screen on the tank front after 6pm to reduce risk of burning??

I can only speak for Virginia USA, but here, sun after 5-6 p.m. is weak. Its still very bright, but the sun has moved too far away to do damage to plants or people. (That's why most sunbathers pack it in after about 4 p.m. or so). In no way is sun after 6 here "very hot and burning". I like LATE afternoon sun as I know its safe for my plants. The air temperature may still be hot but the sun has become a pussycat.
smile.gif
So growing conditions certainly vary from region to region.

Suzanne

Back