What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes in bloom

Hello about a week ago i noticed my nepenthes x edinensis had a spike forming and was wondering if anyone knew if it was male or female or maybe you cant tell yet. But heres some pictures. Thanks

IMG_8811.jpg

IMG_8810.jpg

Looks male. A closeup would confirm.
Post a picture of the pitcher as well...chances are it might not be edinensis.

Are you growing that plant inside? What direction does that window face?

If its flowering, chances are his/her conditions are OK and he is giving at least and adequate amount of sun. Probably just a cloudy day. ;)

If its flowering, chances are his/her conditions are OK and he is giving at least and adequate amount of sun. Probably just a cloudy day. ;)

I wasn't implying anything by asking those questions. Just curious!

could be...but I'd rather see a closer up pic than just speculate

The window is facing east but is really strong light all day. Its been growing in that window for about 10 months or so as well as a ventrata is next to it. I entered it in the philly flower show in march and it won a ribbon and even then it was vining and all. So i got some closeup pictures for ya's to look at. I got as close as i can without the camera blurring. Im pretty sure it is edinensis as it came from a guy at fredrick mejer gardens about 5 years ago.

IMG_8834.jpg

IMG_8837.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_6536.jpg

More pics for ya sorry i took them at night

IMG_8862.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

If it helps with gender ID, this is a male ventrata:

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_8979.jpg

IMG_8977.jpg

still in need for pollen and they are opening up quickly and they have a sweet smell to the flowers. I pollinated some of the lower flowers with nepenthes miranda pollen but since that is usually sterile i doubt it will do anything.

Back