What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes+humidity

Hi guys

Im living in Salt Lake City Utah, Im wanting a Tropical Nepenthes but am unsure which is best.
ive been looking around online and have read that the easier ones to grow that dont mind lower humidity are: "ventricosa, maxima and alata"
Currently Salt Lake is getting alot of rain, the humidity is about 71% but can drop to pretty much 0 during the year.
Does anyone have advice on pitcher plant or tropical pitcher that a terrarium would not be needed?

Any advice would be most appreciated

Thanx

Sheldon

I vouch for khasiana. it can survive frosts.
smile.gif
It is pretty much indestructible. N. ventricosa is also pretty hardy. look for my thread titled "N. ventricosa hardiness experiment" for proof. Sanguinea is also a good choice. Maxima, and alata are good to.

Khasiana can be touchy about lower humidity because it has quite thin leaves. Ventricosa is amaxingly tolerant of lower humidity, probably one of the most of all. Ramispina and sanguinea I've found to cope wel with low humidity. Maxima is OK, but can take a long time to adjust in my experience. There are many varieties of alata, some adapt quickly to low humidity, some can take more than a year to pitcher.

Yeah, i forgot to mention maxima's adjusting time. Mine stood still for almost 4 months. No growth at all.

smile.gif
Thanx alot guys

I've ordered one and also got a S. Flava bulb.
The nursery that I got it from said aslong as I keep them nice and moist in a big pot (to retain mostiure) that the S. Flava will do well here.
The N. Ventricosa will be a windowsill plant for the moment.

Thanx again!

Sheldon

Hey tunasurprise,how is the nep you are doing the experiment on doing? I am curious to know.

Back