What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hamata

The newest pitcher is opening and grinning wide.
04/07/2013
The tiny seedling in the pot to the left in back is a N. aristochioides
62604_629004063791937_1302077528_n.jpg

374408_629005490458461_1603121005_n.jpg

529624_629005503791793_872934605_n.jpg

549099_629005513791792_42412811_n.jpg

I bid $100!

Joking, nice plant though. Congrats with the aristo germination. :)

Thanks, anyone know what the moss covering the surface is called and if there is a way to seed my seedlings soil surface with it? It would help to keep the algae in check.

As annoying as algae can be you probably want to avoid that moss. It will compete for resources with your seedlings and can form dense mats which prevent water from reaching your plants roots as effectively. Not saying its a death sentence and plants can grow fine with it but I see no real benefit myself unless its live sphagnum.

Thanks, anyone know what the moss covering the surface is called and if there is a way to seed my seedlings soil surface with it? It would help to keep the algae in check.

It is the accused Polytrichum, the common haircap moss -- the scourge of seedling pots everywhere. I am constantly removing mats of it . . .

I would be a bit careful with that moss. I personally think its not polytricum. Neps don't mind polytricum as long as it chokes it. Even then actually, my jamban seedlings (RIP) loved it. It created a nice microclimate. But this is the dreaded sheet moss..not sure of the species. polytricum has a more rigid almost tough coconut fiber like structure to it. Best way to tell...polytricum has one amazing adaptation...when it is dry...the moss actually closes up and the leaves are tightly packed to the stem. Mist it with water and it dramatically opens up in seconds. Even dead moss goes through this transformation.

Also, make sure your leaves don't get smaller. My hamata died going through that transformation. Its a sign the roots are not getting enough oxygen/free flowing water.... I don't know...but the plant grows, pitchers, but keeps getting smaller until it just declines slowly. I grew my hamata best when it was planted in live growing sphagnum moss. It loved the live moss and didn't even bother putting any roots in the media underneath (dead sphagnum, bark, charcoal mix).

I would be a bit careful with that moss. I personally think its not polytricum.

There are over seventy species of Polytrichum, which vary a bit in appearance and texture; and the moss can quickly overtake seedlings. . .

yup! For sure there are many species and it may be one that I am unaware of. I personally know and have seen only 4

. But its definitely slower growing than sheet moss. The curling up and water spray is a great way to check if its polytricum. Also...polytricum doesn't grow like a surface mat which plugs the media. Polytricum grows very favourably for neps....tall and fibrous with a lot of gaps in its rhizomous root structure. Neps love it and frequently mingle roots with those to get all the air and water they need. Infact I know some growers who use chopped up polytricum as a mix for nepenthes.

I love polytricum and try to personally collect as much of it as I can and want to get as many species as I can as well. Its the best looking surface cover for any plant and large neps will love having it in the pot...so do cephs.

070505-polytrichum-sp.jpg

Last edited:
Back