What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes bicalcarata 15 yr. plant dying - help!

Bad luck Todd.   N. bicalcarata is one of those species that is usually not possible to save when it's in the state you describe.  I've had similar problems with repotting really large plants, they don't seem to like the root disturbance at all.  Doesn't seem to be the case for smaller plants though.

This is a species that really sucks up water if the humidity is a bit low and if the roots happened to be damaged too, then, well...  Guess it's too late now but I would have tried trimming some of the leaves back at the first sign of leaves curling, either that or put water in the pitchers.

Todd,

Just out of curiosity, what did Bruce have it potted in? That looks like a very barky soil you are using, and bicals like peaty soils to pure LF sphagnum.

Cheers,

Joe

it looks like it's planted in pure orchid mix. lets HOPE that's just a topdressing.

That's 15 years old? Quite small if you ask me......

On the appearance of it.....doesn't look like you can really do anything. Looks like a pathogen has taken the plant and it's on its way out by the fungus spots on the one photo of the stem closeup.

On a side note how come 1 photo shows just the "stump" and the 3 others show the entire plant?

The orchid bark is only "top dressing". It is full of peat and spaghnum moss with some perlite too. I cut back some of the dying leaves. Bruce had in it straight peat moss, but there was no pitchers and the plant leaves were dark forest green with a slight curl.

Todd

Has this point, I'm concluding the well water softened by salt is a culprit, the plant is in shock from the upgrade to a bigger pot or there is a pathogen as there are some small whitish specks around the base.

Todd

Yes, I think that it is rather likely that softened well water
is the problem. My personal recommendation is that you
henceforth water this plant with very pure water (e.g.,
distilled water or RO purified water) and either change
the potting medium or (to avoid further shock)
flush its present medium quite thoroughly with the
purest water available.

Todd,
I've had trouble with N. bicalcarata too. I moved a good sized one from a closet terrarium with high humidity to my new house. It had to sit on the car seat for two hours. By the time I got it home the leaves had turned black on the edges exactly like you described. A definite humidity problem. Also, bical hates to be transplanted. Especially big ones. I've had them go south in a matter of days from transplant shock. So my guess is your guy is upset from being moved to your place and having its roots disturbed. I agree with Tony. Get your guy in a high humidity situation and away from drafts. Keep temps warm and pray a lot. Tony left out that whenever you look at your bical you should always smile and reaffirm how much you admire the plant. Bicals are very sensitive! Good luck and hopefully it will rally and come back.

Joel

Back