What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ampularia

One of my first neps was this N. ampularia. I've had it for about a year now. It grows very large pitchers for an amp; the last one is approaching four inches. I grow it under intermediate conditions, and it usually tops out at about 75 degrees. Nevertheless, it seems happy, and is even starting to get a good group of basal pitchers.
N_ampularia_14.sized.jpg

Here's the latest pitcher. I love the way these pitchers age; instead of shriveling from the top down, they start to completely turn cream colored, then a reddish brown:
N_ampularia_15.sized.jpg

I'm kinda suprised that it tolerates my 60-75 degree temps as well as it does.

And while I'm posting pics, heres a pick of my N. x Manny Herrera. I got this for dirt cheap because it was a near-dead vine. You can see where it's folded in the upper right-hand corner of the picture. But the darn thing just keeps making pitchers. Soon, I think I'll make some cuttings from it.

Capslock
N_x_Manny_Herrera_3.sized.jpg

Very nice. I have a N. ampularia green variety that is doing well in intermediate conditions. The lows have been getting in the upper 60's at night. Basal shoot have appeared recently, but I'm hesitant to do any cuttings because this plant is a real stickler from what I hear.

Are you planning to do any cuttings on your ampularia?

-Homer

Very nice amp! I should get one, I am very fond of the lowlanders

Joe

Nice plants. That hybrid is beautiful. I love it when neps get that sort of palm tree-ish look with the bare brown stem and then the foliage.

Beautiful plants as always. I'm a bit surprised at the xManny Herrera because the specimen i've seen was red (leaves). I thought that was one of the characteristics of the hybrid.

It's interesting how compact your ampullaria is. I have mine under what i consider medium-high light conditions, and it has never produced such compact internodes. The angle makes it hard to tell, but on your plant they appear to be less than 3cm. Did you get the plant as a cutting or young plant?

The 'Manny Herrera' looks nice. There are several clones of it out there, all of them get a reddish color to the leaves if grown very bright. There is one clone that will consistently produce purplish leaves with the pale pinkish-green pitchers. It's a great patio plant and will tolerate humidity drops and general outdoor abuse.

Trent

My N. ampullaria is doing just fine here in NY.  Winter nights were probably down to 50-55F, about the same as it is now that the plant is outside (in a screened terrarium).  I think the plant got used to NY since it came from Nep G.  It is probably my favorite Nep and doesn't seem to object to the weather here.  I just transplanted it into a good sized pot, since it has outgrown the community terrarium.  Thanks again for sharing Dustin!

Capslock...beautiful amp you got there! I wish mine made pitchers that size. Its still a small plant though so hope for the future.

Lovely plants.
smile.gif

Thanks folks!

The photo doesn't show it well, but the x Manny Herrera leaves are tinged with red. They're pretty cool leaves, actually. Not as red as my N. alata "luzon spottes", though, which are bright red. These seem like long-lasting pitchers, too. The oldest is about 3-4 months old, and still looks great. Ahhhhhh, cool hybrids.

Capslock

I sure do wish I had the space to grow these plants. All these photos are turning me into a Nepromancer.

No kidding Tamlin. Every time Dustin, or Tony, or Swords, or any of the other great nep growers posts pictures, I have to put another one or two on my want list. Sigh.

By the way, did you see that the N. hamata is finally pitchering? Woohoo!!!! Thanks again!!!

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ June 14 2004,5:11)]I have to put another one or two on my want list.

Capslock
It's a secret plot!

Your plants look very happy to me
smile.gif

T

Nice amp! The hybrid doesn`t look too shabby either:) Whats its parentage? Do I see some khasiana in there?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 15 2004,12:09)]My N. ampullaria is doing just fine here in NY.  Winter nights were probably down to 50-55F, about the same as it is now that the plant is outside (in a screened terrarium).  I think the plant got used to NY since it came from Nep G.  It is probably my favorite Nep and doesn't seem to object to the weather here.  I just transplanted it into a good sized pot, since it has outgrown the community terrarium.  Thanks again for sharing Dustin!
uhh... dustin?
confused.gif

smile_m_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
laugh.gif

Thats not dustin, its max!

Doh, just re-read your post... you were telling dustin thanks for giving you the nep! i thought you were talking about the pictures!
laugh.gif

Love the plants btw! I gotta make a trip to your place sometime
smile_m_32.gif
I hope you can tag along on my next visit to phil faulisi's! He has a sanguinea with 6-8 inch PURE BLACK pitchers!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
and probably over a dozen pitchers!

Hey William, anytime my friend!
smile.gif
It was given to me and I decided to spoil you with nepenthes fever that day you visited! Like Tony said, its a plot!
biggrin.gif

HI capslock,

Impressive ampullaria. Is that the green spotted sarawak one? And what is the reflective material you are using? It's nice and shiny.

Christian

Hi Capslock
Nice photos,great lookng amp.
N x Manny Herrera never heard of that before looks like a good one though.Do you know what its parentage is?

Bye for now Julian

Hi!

Christian, I don't know the variety of amp. It's just labeled "spotted", and it's from California Carnivores. The reflective material is mylar, just taped on.

Julian and pond boy, the parentage is N. khasiana x N. mirabilis. I'm tending to like all the N. khasiana hybrids these days.

Capslock

Cool,so I guess that would be considered an intermediate plant?

Back