What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep theory

This is my theory on nep's. When a leaf grows from the growth point it has another baby leaf in it. The leaf that opened up that had the baby leaf in it starts to make a pitcher on it. Th baby leaf that was inside the opened leaf openes up with a baby leaf in it, when the 3rd leaf openes up, the very first leafs will have the pitcher opeing or close to opening(Lead). What do you guys think could this be a good theory.
rolleyes.gif
Do not copy paste without my permission.--Phil
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

I believe it's called indeterminate growth point, and it's quite common in plants.

I've noticed this too, it's much easier to see on large plants. My enormous N. bical is a pleasure to watch the pitchers leaves develop and open (too bad it's 4 feet across now and too big for me to keep anylonger-I've gotta sell it).

One tip from me to you, when your latest leaf is just opening and the next "baby leaf" is just visible inside the unfurling leaf don't mist into the opening as it will cause the pitcher tendril one leaf down to rot (at least, in an ultra lowland tank it will).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (swords @ April 27 2003,10:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've noticed this too, it's much easier to see on large plants. My enormous N. bical is a pleasure to watch the pitchers leaves develop and open (too bad it's 4 feet across now and too big for me to keep anylonger-I've gotta sell it).

One tip from me to you, when your latest  leaf is just opening and the next "baby leaf" is just visible inside the unfurling leaf don't mist into the opening as it will cause the pitcher tendril one leaf down to rot (at least, in an ultra lowland tank it will).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've noticed this too, it's much easier to see on large plants. My enormous N. bical is a pleasure to watch the pitchers leaves develop and open (too bad it's 4 feet across now and too big for me to keep anylonger-I've gotta sell it).

One tip from me to you, when your latest leaf is just opening and the next "baby leaf" is just visible inside the unfurling leaf don't mist into the opening as it will cause the pitcher tendril one leaf down to rot (at least, in an ultra lowland tank it will[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

whats the cost

That's a shame Josh.
sad.gif
Could you cut it back like you accidentally decapitated it one time? Too bad you couldn't construct a squatter grow area.

Actually when I decapitated it was the way I first observed this leaf in a leaf that Phil Trapper2 was talking about. Thinking I had to wait months and months for a secondary dormant node to emerge and start producing large leaves and pitchers again. All of a sudden a leaf and tendril popped from the "decapitated" area and it just kept on growing as if only the "shell" of the growing point was severed.

I've never thought about a price but as there have been several PM's of interest already I think I will post it as an auction on Ebay so it's fair for everyone since I had no price in mind when I mentoned it in the above post. Anyone interested just get in touch by PM I'll tell you when the plant is going to go up on Ebay with a photo, next week sometime.

Back