What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep seeds

Are The New Forums Better? - Vote Here!!

• yes, they seem much better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yes, they are ok, I guess

• I'm indifferent, it doesn't matter

• no, it's worse

• no, it's more difficult to use

• Total voters

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I'm sure this has been brought up before but right now my head hurts too much to look for it and I'm just feeling lazy.

I got some Nep seeds from a very kind soul and I'm curious if this set up will work:

1:2 perlite:sphag in a covered seed tray with low light until germination and then acclimate them to higher light levels.

Sound alright?

Pyro

Sounds good to me! I would give them a slightly hihger light level though. If you do you may have some good vigorous Nep. seedlings rather if you don't. Just a suggestion not anyhting that will affect the life or death of your seeds.

How long does it take them to get to be regular sized plants? I dont mean like, seven inch pitchers, but like three or four inch leaves, and stuff...

Growing neps from seed can be a challenge. I shouldn't talk, though, because I have never tried it! :)

However, there is a great guide by John Brittnacher here.

Good luck! I seriously mean 'luck' because it is supposed to be a big factor in germinating Nepenthes.

Chris

The key to nep germination is patience, they can take a very long time to germinate (as in months ..up to a year). and then initial growth is slow. I have bicals and fusca I've been growing for 3 years that are just over 3 inches across.

Cheers

Back