What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep seeds Grew!!!!!!!!!!!&

Warm and humid with "bright shade" for lighting. We germinate in platic trays covered with saran wrap. Once the seedling get started we peel back the saran a little at a time to acclimate them to the harsher greenhouse environment. There is a very high mortality rate. About half will make it. Out of that lot there will be a handful that are vigorous, strong growers-the "keepers".

Interesting to see the Brugmansia sprouts. We have Brugmansia sanguinea sprouting right now.

Trent

I have some N. Lowii Seeds and N. Mirabilis seeds in a seed tray.
the humidity is aroud 80 and the temp is around 85 f
they are under a compact flourescent 65 watt 24/7
do the lowii seeds need a night time drop to germinate, or will the temp being high increse seed germination?
i dont think i would be able to keep the Lowii so i might be able to give some away
tounge.gif

Hellz

Good question on the lowii. Do seeds and cuttings from highland plants benefit from bottom heat ,ie a seedling heater, or do they prefer the same conditions that the parents would?

Joe

update

they have there first leaf on them with little pitchers like 1/8 of an inch. they are still really small but healthy i totaled about 6 nep madagascariensis
smile.gif

wow, thats very cool
biggrin.gif

only 4 or 5 of my Mirabilis seed started to germinate, and no Lowii (I Thought the hitchhiker grasses from the LFS were neps
smile_o_32.gif
)
o well, a tleast some germinated
im gettin some N. Fusca seeds also, i hope they germinate better than the Lowi
smilie4.gif

my mirabilis didnt germinate yet. but i think they will grow.
smile.gif

Back