What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep seedlings

Here're some N. mirabilis seedlings that have been growing at a snails pace for several months now.  My aging digicam couldn't dream of capturing them, but i borrowed a roomies camera and got a few quick photos.

The entire container (there are four or five seedlings visible):
20040630-CP-N.mirabilis-propagation-several%20month%20seedlings.jpg

Closer:
20040630-CP-N.mirabilis-propagation-several%20month%20seedlings%202.jpg

Finally, an extreme closeup:
20040630-CP-N.mirabilis-propagation-several%20month%20seedling.jpg

Aren't they cute?
biggrin.gif

After killing off the first batch of seedlings when they got a trifle dry, i have a new crop of N. rafflesiana seeds just sprouting:
20040630-CP-N.rafflesiana-propagation-three%20weeks%20since%20sowing-cotyledon%20and%20seeds.jpg

See the sprout in the middle

And a closeup of the sprouting cotyledon:
20040630-CP-N.rafflesiana-propagation-three%20weeks%20since%20sowing-cotyledon.jpg

Cool I've never seen a baby Nep before
cool.gif

Keep us posted as they get bigger!

Well done
Ive never tried neps from seed.

Bye Julian

Sweet! Are those itty bitty pitchers on the mirabalis, or do my eyes deceive me?

As far as i can tell, there's nothing but pitchers. I wish they'd grow some leaves or something...

Anyone else have experience with seedling neps, and know how fast they stay in the microscopic, nothing-but-fuzzy-pitcher stage?

Yeah my first neps from seeds never grew, nice to see at least someone succeeded. Sorry Pyro. So hard to grow from seed. Ayone know how long they take to germinate? I'll be interested to see a full nep grown from seed. What are the conditions? (Like must you keep the dry or wet, soil mix, temp...)Ok, since I'm mentioning seedlings, I'll ask if anyone knows how long ceph seeds take to germinate.

Cute little pitchers!
biggrin.gif

Jason, I hope you didn't throw out Pyro's nep seeds....They can take several months to germinate. You can't have had those seeds much longer than one month, since you were in the same give away I was....

I'm interested in the answer to how long they stay microscopic myself. I had a fluke 2 week germination time for ONE lowii seed (the rest are so far following the conventional wisdom of at least 30 days) on June 19th, and it's still so small you almost can't see it. 'Course it's only been two weeks, doensn't even have the itty bitty pitchers yet.....

I would love to try some Nep seeds. I have great luck with other seeds. Where might I find some Nep seeds? lowland BTW.

Joe

I got all my nep seeds (three species) from the ICPS seedbank. "It pays to be a member". The raffs sprouted in just a few weeks, but the mirabilis took much longer. Don't give up!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I would love to try some Nep seeds. I have great luck with other seeds. Where might I find some Nep seeds? lowland BTW.
I just got a pack of N. madegascarensis (sp?) seeds in the mail today from e-bay. The seller told me they were 2 weeks fresh when I asked (which put them at three weeks today, roughly). I think there are more packs available...check e-bay.

Cute seedlings!
smile.gif
How are they doing now?
confused.gif

Back