What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nep roots

• Thread starter thez_yo
  • Start date

thez_yo

instigator
just a couple pics --

bosch x campy
DSC_0017-4.jpg

sibu x tm
DSC_0018-5.jpg

fyi if you were wondering.

Last edited:
Nice
Thanks for sharing

What are your plans for these cuttings?

Interesting - I tried rooting both N. hamata & N. aristolochioides in water (several cuttings each). All failed.

Did you do anything special (aka: other than just sticking a cutting in water)?

Thanks guys!

What are your plans for these cuttings?

NASC auction, of course!

Interesting - I tried rooting both N. hamata & N. aristolochioides in water (several cuttings each). All failed.

Did you do anything special (aka: other than just sticking a cutting in water)?

I had the cuttings I tried to start in water a few years ago just rot into mush too... this time I was lucky and it worked. I can't explain why :-))

This time - I keep them on the same window as the peperomia (south - but remember it's San Diego so the sun goes almost straight down and not really 'in' too much, and behind blinds) and i misted the fresh cuttings' cut ends with superthrive though I'm not going to claim that helped one way or another. When the bottoms start getting that slimy clear stuff on them I'll stir them in the water a little to break it up, but otherwise they just sat there for a few months in stasis before the roots shot out. I noticed the leaves starting to budge a little again before I noticed the roots coming out the bottoms, but not by too long. I didn't bag them or anything either - but I did slit up the cut ends maybe a cm in a cross shape to get to the center of the plant to give it more surface area from which to send roots. The bosch x campy cutting actually sat out of water for at least 3hrs (maybe 9?) one day because I hadn't realized it had gotten knocked over a little while refilling the vases (read: champagne flutes and wine glasses) so ... it appears that when you do get lucky enough to get them to root, you don't have to be super precise either.

I tried rooting some other stuff in lfs : perlite btw - ventrinermis is doing fine, thor x campy and jamban too... khasi x viking too. Mikei turned into black slime rather quick (not gonna try again I think for a while - wait for more basals to sprout up). I had that sibu x hamata but-maybe-not-really-sibu x hamata of BE's from a couple years ago root in RO water (without any superthrive) too. The cuttings I killed last year btw in lfs : perlite were lavicola, tobaica, peter d'amato, atlanta giant, & predator. I think I tried only the peter d'amato and an atlanta giant in pure water but they went kaput (and I had tried some more thor x campy in just water at that time too that died).

I should have taken pics of my sib's roots when I repotted it today.

Back