What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neem Oil - Miracle Drug!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I've been researching neem oil. It seems to be beneficial in a varity of ways, besides critter control. It can be used skin issues, pain, and a bunch other ailments. Here's one for R.A.:

Rheumatism:

Rheumatism or Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune condition that can cause serious pain and inflammation. Modern medicine uses strong drugs like phenyl butazone and cortisone to relive the pain and inflammation of Rheumatism, however these drugs can cause many uncomfortable side effects. Clinical studies have conclusively demonstrated that the anti-inflammatory activities of various compounds in Neem leaves are equally as effective as phenyl butazone and cortisone.

In addition to relieving pain and inflammation the active constituents in Neem leaves are clinically proven to inhibit the prostaglandin mechanism, that causes pain, more effectively than aspirin. In the same study Neem significantly reduced acute paw edema as well. The consumption of Neem Leaf capsules and the topical application of slightly warmed Neem cream can help to alleviate the pain and inflammation of this condition.

http://www.wellsphere.com/complementary-alternative-medicine-article/benefits-of-neem-oil-natural-treatment-for-psoriasis-eczema-amp-acne/353102
http://www.rheumatoidarthritissupport.com/relevance/neem-oil-benefits

. . . and it's a fabulous floor wax and dessert topping . . .

I've used it in toothpaste and dog shampoo too.

So does neem oil = "snake oil"?

Scientists have identified over 150 active substances in neem, and many of those proved to be as effective in laboratory studies as the folklore claimed they would be.

Neem can often beat the pharmceuticals in our arsenal, with none of the undesirable side effects. But neem is not a miracle cure. There are limits to what it can do.

Beware the snake oil salesmen, but don't throw out the baby with the bath water. Neem oil works.

That sounds like a balanced appraisal.

so , can i just do a couple shots of the horticultural stuff ? spritz right in the back of the throat like a sore throat spray?

Sounds almost as amazing as SUPERthrive ;)

lol @ "over 150 active substances" Sure, so...? And of those that "worked" where are the citations of those(I'm sure very well done) trials? People with RA take steroids because not only should neem not be ingested, but it just doesn't work for such a serious condition well, if at all. Where is this proof of inhibiting prostiglandins, and what molecular compound are they claiming is doing this? Also how? These are awfully suspicious claims. Maybe not every extraction that has come from neem is snake oil, but please don't start rubbing it into your skin or drinking it, it also has toxic compounds that may have worse side effects than other treatments.

I guess that you have to ask yourself why it's not being used extensively in the medical profession, if it is so good. This brings to mind grapefruit seed extract.

So, is it safe to say that neem oil promotes "wellness" or "goodness?"

Our FDA is incredibly careful about approving medicines, which can be good and bad.

I guess that you have to ask yourself why it's not being used extensively in the medical profession, if it is so good. This brings to mind grapefruit seed extract.

Grapefruit is a good case in point in terms of supporting the efforts of the byzantine FDA. While it is my favorite juice and harmless to me, it can also hinder the effectiveness of some heart medications and is even contraindicated on some pharmaceutical labels.

There was some herbal concoction popularized in whackadoodle California (go figure) some years back promoting "wellness," "chi realignment," or whatever, which turned out to be an "abortive remedy."

Imagine the surprise . . .

Back