What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neem Oil DOES work....

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
...it just takes several days to a few weeks, of repeated applications, every couple days, to do the job. I took my magnifying glass and checked my indoor collection, represented by mostly sundews. I don't see a single one or their remains anymore.

I do wonder if Neem has any affect on pill bugs...

I second this. I read it as a tip someplace online to try Neem oil. I went to a local nursery and bought the concentrated kind (They had spray bottles already diluted but I'd rather make my own dilutions.) I followed the instructions on the label and applied it 2 different ways: I top-watered my pinguicula, assorted drosera, and nepenthes. I also put some in a spray bottle and sprayed the crap out of my N. ventrata. Haven't seen a single bug and haven't seen any ill effects on the plants...This was several weeks ago.

Last edited:
I also endorse the proper use of neem oil. I use it on fruit trees where a systemic insecticide would be problematic.

however it is important to understand the mode of action of this compound. The active ingredient in neem oil is an natural Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) it interferes with moulting in insects, either messing with the moulting hormone (ecdysone). Because of this the affects upon adult insects (i.e. no longer moulting) is minimal.

however it is important to understand the mode of action of this compound. The active ingredient in neem oil is an natural Insect Growth Regulator (IGR) it interferes with moulting in insects, either messing with the moulting hormone (ecdysone). Because of this the affects upon adult insects (i.e. no longer moulting) is minimal.
+1 I use lots of chemical IGRs at work and you have to be patient and hit the buggers when a high % of the population is in a juvenile stage.

My biggest tip on using Neem or any other oily spray: wait for a cool, cloudy day that is not raining or apply after the sun goes down. Drastically reduced chance of leaf burn. Outdoors in low-humidity areas like CA I would even recommend washing the chemical off the next morning before the sun pops back out if you're expecting a hot day.

Last edited:
Back