What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some advice

Hi everyone

I have 5 Nep's and right now and it is to cold to put them outside, So here is the question. The humidty is low most of the time right now and I have been misting them a lot 5X time a day and using rain water for a water source. I am trying the window sill growing with indirect sunlight but very bright. Should I put A bowel of water under them ? I guess what I am asking is how and what should I do as A daily things to do to keep them happy and grow pitchers.

Any Help would be Thank Full

Jim

I have my 2 neps in my atrium. I have them over a tray of water sitting on an upside down smaller tray in the center and I mist about 4 times a day. So far so good it's been about a year.

Hes pasotim, what kinds of neps do you have? That will be indicitive of your success. For instance, ventricosa or x 'Ventrata' are likely to do well. Campanulata is not.
That thought asside, a humidity tray is not really all that effective. Bet bet durring the dryer months is a terrarium.

I agree with Schloaty. depends on the species. If they are more intermediate ones, like the campualatas, ampullaria, burbigea, (bad spelling), etc. than maybe you should grow it in a terrarium. But if its ventricosa, x ventura, maybe sanquinea (?) then outside might work. Keep in mind that the lowland plants won't like cold nights.

Let see I have A Ventricosa 2 rafflesiana 1 coccinea 1 Alata.. Not sure about hybrid's if they are.... Iv had them for about 2 months and they seem to be saying to me DO SOMETHING DIFFRENT LOL. I saw the picts of some of the fellow CPer's and The Neps look happy, I want some happy Neps:( So what ever you guys can offer will be a BIG help..... Thanks a LOT
Thanks for responding and offering help

Jim

Jim,
Get them more light. Non-direct window light is not enough. An easy way is to just put a compact fluosrescent bulb (the kind that replace regular bulbs, look for the highest wattage, and "cool white" or "daylight" instead of "warm white") in a desklamp over the neps. Two or three would be even better. Somehow you have to get them more light!

The N. rafflesianas and the N. x coccinea (your only hybrid) need warmer temps. The ventricosa and alata are hardy, easy plants, and can take some lower temperatures. All are pretty easy growers, though. I think the most important thing you need to get them is light.

Capslock

I would also like to add that the raf, in particular, and the coccinea to a lesser degree, are humidity sensitive. What is your ambient room humidity?

Ventricosa and alata should be able to handle just about anything you accustom them too with regards to the humidy (well, unless you live in Phoenix or something, lol).

The Humidity around here is around 30% to 50% around the house. That is why I mist them all the time,( dose misting help?) Today it is damp and raining out and has been doing so for about 3 days. Ina month or so the humidity will hang around 40 to 70 %. As for light I have moved them to to a brightmorning sun window ( about 2 hours of sun and reflecting light about 8 hours) THanks again for the help so far, Ill take a few Picts of now and later to show you the progress of my plants. Your guys are great

Jim

you should try taking plastic bags and covering them with it, beforey ou do mist the inside of the bag and the plant, itll keep the humidity up but you wont be able to see the plants....

but high humidity!
tounge.gif

Back