What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need lighting help

I just got a tank, i'll get the dimensions later on.

Anyway, it has a hood, with 1 fluorescent aquarium bulb (the purplish one) that is literally about as old as I am. I was thinking about getting a metal halide light. First of all, I found one on ebay where you can get a 10k, 14k, or 20somethingk lightbulb. Which one would be the most beneficial?

Is HPS or MH the way to go? I guess they both look about the same price-ish.
How am I supposed to hang the light or whatever, and keep the terrarium covered? I think Clint said his MH warps the plastic covering he puts over his tank IIRC (can't think of what that stuff is called ATM).

I'm also not opposed to fluorescent, but I'd have to get a new hood, since the on eI have only holds 1 bulb. I'll get dimensions of everything in an hourish.

10K is the max I'd ever go. The higher K ratings are really only good for taking care of coral. It'll give you a nice white color with a subtle hint of blue. Great for vegetative growth.

HPS will give you a red/orange color. You will not be able to see the green on your plants. It's good if you want to induce flowering but not good for growth (or looking at your plants!)

I hang mine from the cieling.
It warps the acrylic slightly but it's not a problem. It's just cheap acrylic from Home Depot. After trying metal halide, I'll never go back to fluorescent! My 250 MH is WAY better than my old 440 watt VHO setup!

Well I am sorta a newbie but have like done tons of reading,
MH are cheaper the T5 but at the same time there is minimal heat and you can mix like warm and cool colors..
I like this site since there are warrenties and they have a very nice selection with good prices. http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/items.asp?Cc=HL&Bc=
You could buy T5 or remote ballast(less heat in the tank) MH with a warmer color bulb..
Well I think it is up to you T5 intergrates well into tanks but MH is cheaper and so on..
You'd not need a hood since you could hang a nice T5 fixture that is 8 tube or 4 tube
Four foot 4 bulb 54 watts per bulb you could mix 2 warm and 2 cool bulb,
http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/customkititems.asp?kc=HLIFT5NW4B4&eq=
Like $250 with shipping most likely...
Tell me what you think

Last edited:
Hmmm. I think I might go with a cheap-o MH setup. The only problem for me is the start-up costs seem pretty expensive (like $80 or so), compared to just buying another bulb for $5. (figured out the part that used to be here, so deleted it lol)

I think the tank is like 25" long x 12" high...just an estimate since I can't find my tape measure ATM.

For only 80 dollars, what size were you looking at? A 75 watt MH?

400W. Ballast + bulb + cords + reflector for $80 + $20 shipping

That's an AMAZINGLY good price. You better scarf that up!

You're practically stealing it at that price. It's also overkill for that amount of space.

lol. I just don't know if I NEED it for my tank. I mean...I grow pretty much all lowlanders that get massive....and I'm already making a huge enclosure for my plants. I think I'll do it anyway, and use it as a hospital/seed starting/cutting rooting area.

I'd do it and if the xmformer burns out buy another for $40 :D
I woud add a warm color MH bulb :D

Back