What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need info please

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I will be recieving a Big Mouth VFT in the mail bare root.What do I do when I recieve it?What kind of medium does it need?Half sand half peat poss?Do I need to water it down since it didn't have water for like 2 days?Thanks
smile.gif
*Niki*(Trapper7)

I always treat new plants sent as if they ARE in shock. I make sure they are moist and covered, in stable conditions, and not in bright light, initially. After a few days I take the cover off, during the day time but put it back on at night. After a couple more days, I give them the "open tray" conditions and move them to the window sill for more light. Always look for new growth, as the existing growth may die. In the case of sundews, it is likely that the dew disappears permanently on the existing leaves. New leave will have dew.

The soil mixture is fine. Everybody does their own variation. I like to mix sand and peat and topdress with LFS.

You grow girl!
smile.gif

HAHA you grow girl,that's too funny
smile_n_32.gif
So what would I cover it with?And what's the open tray conditions?Thanks for your help Jimbo
smile_m_32.gif
*Niki*

Anything that is clear and plastic or glass would work - a deli container or large ziplock. Open tray is the pot that the plant is in, placed in another container, that is filled to ~1". *what's the conversion factor for inches to centimeters again?*

I thought a picture might be more helpful than a written explanation:

Jamie's%20Plants.jpg

You're very welcome!
smile.gif

Thank you! You're right,the pic did help a lot
smile.gif
*Niki*
smile_m_32.gif

You're very welcome! Those pictured are actually my co-worker's plants (Jamie Best). He is a member here. He and his brother, Mike, are members, and their mother & aunt own our lab.

Back