What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with choosing some plants

• Thread starter elgecko
  • Start date

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I'm looking for cacti/other desert plants for my new lizard setup. I need plants which do not require much light, can be potted in a shallow container, and if they have spines/needles they are soft.
Any ideas?

Here's the tank setup:
post-24-1120952735.jpg

I hear Snake Plants do well with Leopards(that is what you got, right?) and most succulents. Maybe a Jade or Aloe?

Hmmmm. A cactus/succulent that can live on lower light, without spines, and (though you didn't mention this as a requirement) stays small enough to remain in the terrarium...

Jade, aloe, sansevieria, and some euphorbia spp. would probably do. Stay away from the variegated/colored forms as they need more light. Also, as you stated, plant them shallow in a loose mix as succulents are prone to rot in lower light.

I'm not sure whether the lizards like to eat plants, but if there's any chance that they do, I'd ELIMINATE euphorbias from the list as they have a milky sap that is irritating and/or deadly to most animals.

I'll try thinking of some more.

Thanks for the ideas.

I did pick up 2 plants to try.
I got some kind of Haworthia. The other plant said it was a Mimicry, but looking that up on the internet, it is not that plant.

I did research on the Haworthia before I bought it and it sounds like a very good possibility.
133haworthia.jpg

This plant I have no clue what it is, or possible requirements. Like I said the sticker said it was a Minicry.
133unknownplant.jpg

I might try a Jade. I often thought of trying one as a Bonsai, so what a better place to show it off in, but might need more light then I will be giving it.

The lower one is Anacampseros rufescens 'Sunrise'. from the look of the haworthia and the anacapseros they need more light to remain compact.

BR
Chris

Good choice....Hawthornia can also tolerate lower light, though cactuschris is correct in that it may etiolate. But all of them will probably do this to some extent in the low light.

You might also want to look at Kalanchoe and Gasteria spp. These look pretty cool, with the former being fuzzy and the latter looking like tongues. They're easy to find at the local nursery, home depot or lowes.

They look like they're in a peat-based medium. You'll definitely want to repot them in a looser (preferably peat-free) mix in clay pots since they'll be in shade. This will promote faster drying.

CactusChris,
Thanks for the ID.
After reading up on it, sounds like a very good possibility with my setup as well.

chloroplast,
I did not check the Hawthornia for soil moisture. Both plants were bone dry when I purchased them. I watered them both when I got home. I was surprised that Anacampseros rufescens was dry already the next day.
I will most likely let them the way they are for some time to make sure they live, and repot them into some extra bonsai pots I have that are 1" to 1 1/2" deep.

I also covered the top of my lid with the silver mylar to reflect as much light as possible into the tank.

Thanks for the help.

No problem....it's the least I can do to pay you back for all that good info on Drosophyllum you gave me last month!!!

I just thought I'd mention the quick repotting as the lowermost plant (in the plastic pot) looks like a "cactuscollection" plant bought from Home depot/lowes.
My experience with these plants is that if they aren't quickly repotted, they will die of rot within a month because peat-based soil, though manageable under perfect conditions, can rarely support a plant in the home.

The terrarium looks great. The lizards should love it!

Back