What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help identifying a few bits of moss

I wanted to use some moss for my terrarium so I collected a sample from around my property in the woods. I think there is 3 species here but I don't know and are they any good for cp's like sundews and maybe cephs?

70c9bffba4b647b84a7940ed6c533c67.jpg

Thanks
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Unless it's sphagnum, best not to use for any CP's, especially smaller plants like Drosera or Cephalotus. They will either outgrow or in the case of some species poison your plants, and I'm not seeing any sphagnum in that clump. If you want moss to grow with your plants, it's best to look for sources online that are reputable and do sell just sphagnum species.

Unless it's sphagnum, best not to use for any CP's, especially smaller plants like Drosera or Cephalotus. They will either outgrow or in the case of some species poison your plants, and I'm not seeing any sphagnum in that clump. If you want moss to grow with your plants, it's best to look for sources online that are reputable and do sell just sphagnum species.

Thanks hcarlton, I probably won't use for my cps then.

Thanks hcarlton, I probably won't use for my cps then.

Change that "probably" to "definitely" and you're all set!

By the way, that's probably Eurhynchium oreganum, and it isn't appropriate as a growing media component for insectivorous plants.

The ferny-looking moss is Thuidium delicatulum, an easy species to grow if kept moist and bright and less picky about substrate than many terrestrial mosses. The ropy-looking one is probably Bryoandersonia illecebra and there might be some Poytrichum juniperinum in there, too.

As already indicated these aren't good companions for most CPs, but I grow the Thuidium and Bryoandersonia with some of my orchids, ferns, and other epiphytes. Hard to tell whether this yields any benefit to the vascular companions but it doesn't seem to hurt them, either.

Last edited:
The ferny-looking moss is Thuidium delicatulum, an easy species to grow if kept moist and bright and less picky about substrate than many terrestrial mosses. The ropy-looking one is probably Bryoandersonia illecebra and there might be some Poytrichum juniperinum in there, too.

As already indicated these aren't good companions for most CPs, but I grow the Thuidium and Bryoandersonia with some of my orchids, ferns, and other epiphytes. Hard to tell whether this yields any benefit to the vascular companions but it doesn't seem to hurt them, either.

Thanks gnathaniel, now I just learned a bit and good to know the thuidium and bryoandersonia would be good for my orchids. Haven't gotten into ferns yet but figures why there was a few located with this stuff. I'm gonna have to look for some sphagnum fuscum to cultivate and use for my cp's and stuff.

Back