What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help germinating 3 types of seeds !

Hello folks ,i just obtained some seeds of D. glanduligera , D. indica , and D. stolonifera ssp stolonifera from the icps seedbank and i need to know what your methods are for sowing the seeds. I'd like to know when's a good time to sow them , if they need any special treatments such as fire ashes , scarifying or stratifying , where to put them , what are good soil mixes for them , what temps they require for a succeful germination , any special pot size if needed , wetness , and whatever info i need to know to sow and succesfully grow these plants . I've heard many storie about how hard it is to germinate D. glanduligera so i hope we can get some goof dinfo gathered up in this post .

Goldtrap,

You should not have any problem with D.indica.
I have germinated it several times as any other easy sundew, placing the seed in sand/peat and giving it high humidity and good light.

I have found D. indica to be a bit of a problem to reliably germinate. All the times I have tried it I have found a tendency to just sit there month after month until, on some warm and fateful day, it decides to grow. Since the wait (at least for me) is so long, this is one species where I always nuke the medium prior to sowing the seed.

D. stolonifera is a real pill to germinate. I had some success with the use of GA3. Greg Bourke mentioned the possibility that pouring boiling water over the seed might be effective, and one of out German members here mentioned placing the seed in a sealed container in the full summer sun to bake, before sowing it just before the advent of cooler fall weather.
I have also heard the seed will not germinate prior to the cool season, no matter what techniques are used. Untreated seed may lie for several years in habitat, do if you fail to get germination the first year, don't give up on it.

I did germinate D. glanduligera. I used a long, wet stratification similar to the protocol used with Sarraenia seed over the winter, placing the pots outside while the nights were still frosty in the spring. Germination did not happen until June, and was sparse. The plants did not thrive here in the hot summer conditions (they are a winter growing species), and although they flowered, they set no seed.

Fresh seed of D. stolonifera germinates easily, old one does not (use GA3). My D. indica seeds germinated like D.capensis seeds...no problems.

Jan

Ok , but when is a good time to sow all these seeds ?

I would sow the glanduligera and stolonifera in the summer and allow the seeds to sit in the hot sun until the winter when the rains arrive. As for the indica, I would sow this during late spring and grow it during the summer.

Ok , Thanks everybody
smile.gif
wish me luck .

I noticed my D. stolonifera seed germinated a few days ago (seed sown 9/17/03). I did nothing special, in fact other then keeping the soil moist I've been ignoring them. Germination was unexpected after hearing how it may take a year or more before seeing results. This will be my first tuberous sundew, does anyone have any tips for growing.

Thanks, Chris

Best conditions: much direct light, temperatures between 10-15 °C

Giggle, you're starting to sound like me when I get excited and nerotic about new plants at the same time
biggrin.gif

Updates : The D. indica germinated in my terrarium very succesfully , numerous seeds sprouted and growing fast . Next , the D. glanduligera seeds sprouted , hard to believe that the hardest of the 3 seeds I got germinated outside and there are 2 sprouts , a little too early considering that they are winter annuals but I may find a way to keep them alive during the hot summer months . The D. stolonifera still has'nt germinated yet , too early or porbably i scarified them too much .
smile.gif

Wow , the pot of Drosera indica seeds all germinated and growing fast , the D. glanduligera already has 2 sprouts , the hot weather must've triggered germination and the D. stolonifera ssp stolonifera has one sprout that i'm trying to keep alive because the soil gets dry too fast .I'll keep you updated but all seems to be doing well .
smile.gif

Back