What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Drosera Pygmy Ground Cover

Ok, here's the deal, I've got my landscaped terrarium (10 gallon), and I need deadly ground cover. I'm thinking of pygmy drosera (ie:nitidula, roseanna). What spreads fast, gets sticky, and where can I buy in bulk at a low price or find someone who will trade or something like that. Seed grow too slow for my tastes on this one. HELP!

I've got about 1000 Drosera Capensis "Pink" seeds that I can trade...

Best way to establish a pygmy terrarium is with gemmae, which are usually produced in abundance during the winter. D.nitidula ssp., D.palacea ssp. roseana, xLake Badgerup, xCarburup, dichrosepala ssp. enodes, ericksoniae, pulchella and other species and hybrids make ideal starter plants.

My own personal experience is that most pygmies don't like to be transplanted. A couple of times I bought adult plants and they died on me however every time I started them from gemmae I had no problems.

You should get a small varrient of D. spatulata insted, they are more durable and will self clone and cover the whole place very quickly. I bet you can fined plenty for traid too.

Ok, cool, thanks for the advice everyone!
And if anyone's going to the next LACPS meeting, feel free to bring ground cover for me too look at and buy (that is, if you want to).

biggrin.gif

Back