What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need computer help

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
My wife's laptop has a Sasser look alike worm and it shuts her computer down when she attempts to go online. How do you get rid of it?

Jim, are you employing any anti-virus software? Symantec's AntiVirus gets rid of the Sasser worm, and probably any others you're likely to encounter.

Capslock

We have Mcaffee - and I just noticed that this is in the wrong forum!

Whatever virus protection you have, make sure you have the latest updates. They add new virus definitions constantly, so if you don't have the latest update, it will probably ignore anything you have.

Capslock

If she has Windows XP, I think she might be able to use the "System Restore" thing to restore the computer to a previous restore point (which it makes automatically) before the worm showed up. Anything you installed on the machine since that point will need to be re-installed. The data files should remain intact, though.

You can also download a "cleaner" file for it. My girlfriend had the same thing. I did a google search for sasser worm cleaner, and the results showed a cleaner file that I downloaded and ran, and it fixed it. Just make sure it is a sasser for sure before you do that. Good luck
smile.gif

its a nasty virus before you can do anything it closes it down i had it before but i did the restore thingey just in time

Thank you all for your help! I will pass this info along to my wife and hopefully the laptop will be up and running again.
smile.gif

Good luck! Hope she gets it back up and in good working order.

This is why I have so many anti virus programs. They can only take down one firewall each, at a time, so its pretty easy to fix... Zafi worm can really take you down though!

Back