What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need an ID on odd plant (pics)

• Thread starter CopcarFC
  • Start date
OK at the beginning of this year I was given a small plant that I put outside. At the time it was too small to show any real features but now it pretty big so I am wondering what it is. Heres some pics...

PICT0226web.jpg

PICT0225web.jpg

If you know what it is please let me know.

Looks like kohlrabi. Edible, even delectable.

Edible!? What part, the leaves or the big thing in the center? How do you prepare it?

The swollen stem. I'm guessing prepare as you would prepare turnips and such. Google should yield better results for you.

yeah that's kohlrabi... I'd used it with pork chops. Then again, I'd used anything with pork chops.

Alright, Ive checked out Google and eveything but the root seems to be edible. But...I kinda like the little guy, if I cut off the top will it come back from the root? I havent seen any of these in nurseries around here. So I wont be able to get another for a while.

But my bad side wants to see what it taste like
mad.gif
what to do...

Eat it. You can get the seeds at any garden center next spring when everybody is planting their veggy gardens. You may even find some that are already growing and ready to plant. Heck you may even be able to find the seeds now.

Cut the leaves off and the root where it becomes the baseball like bulb.  Then cut away the outer covering (skin) covering the bulb.  Eat it raw.  The top (leaf)part is the most tender, root side is tougher.  

I've grown a couple hundred of them over the years....very, very easy to grow....and tasty just fresh from the garden or cut up and in a salad.

i know its not a constructive comment, but i giggled all the way through this topic.

Kohlrabi, is just another form of the same species, Brassica oleracea as are Kale, Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, etc. Just goes to show how we humans can interfere with wild plants to have them be more like we would wish them to be, rather than their wild characteristics. See Wikipedia.

Back