What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need A Large Tray-Planter

I have been looking for a tray of some kind with dimensions ~48x18x6 inches. Does such a thing exist? I would think it should, considering how many people have greenhouses around the world. I am open to plastic trays of any kind that would be around that size, but I have not found any. Usually when you get that length or width, it is accompanied by too much height. I suppose I could cut something down to size... but I would prefer an alternative.

Where? I have no idea.
But, if you're a DIY'er then you could build a simple custom plywood tray & then line it with garage floor epoxy. I've done a couple waterproof plywood tanks this way. You just need to be able to make it fairly sturdy with tight seems which will be very simple since it won't be holding much water pressure. EZPZ :cool:

Thanks for the input, Knuckles! That is actually a really good idea, do you recall how much yours cost to build?

I would suggest a perusal of the tank building articles on www.garf.org before you start building. It will give you the basics of constructing such a thing, although your tray will be under considerably less pressure than a typical tank due to its shallowness.

I am also interested in doing this. Is there an epoxy or sealant that would be non-toxic for plants that any of you have used? The DIY is a good idea for a project like this.

My projects were expensive b/c I bought in bulk & they required waaay more supplies to be used as aquariums. For a water holding plant tray, it shouldn't cost much & the epoxy will be the most expensive part assuming you have a drill. Figure your plan & you can have home depot/lowes cut the wood for you for free or cents per cut. Double check the measurements b/c sometimes their cuts can be off if done in a hurry. There will be plenty of epoxy & screws left for future projects.

3/8"-1/2" sheet of plywood 4'X8' = 20-30 bucks. Around the $30 end for pressure treated but not necessary for this tray.
1.5-2" deck screws = $10
epoxy= 20-30 bucks for black or gray garage floor epoxy. MUCH more expensive for the clear sealant stuff.

If the tank needs to hold much pressure then you would need a quality adhesive for the seams but for a tray or small tank elmers glue or silicone I pure silicone is fine. Make sure you tap the screw holes with a smaller diameter drill bit to keep the wood from splitting.

Eric- epoxy & epoxy based paints are safe for plants & aquarium life after cured. Let the tray dry for a week or 2 out of water & a few days with water to make you feel better.
Most aquarium décor is coated with epoxy paint. Check the can to see if it reads water retentant or something like that.
Great suggestion from subrosa as well to get some idea of making water retaining plywood tanks. Just don't think you need everything listed for an aquarium that you will need for a tray b/c it will be much simpler. Heres a good link I found: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/12/aafeature

Hope that helps you guys get started & have fun :p

Last edited:
Very descriptive, thanks again, Knuckles! You have been very helpful.

Another very simple way to build a tray is with rubber roofing material, which is practically the same as pond liner. Build a box from wood or even cinder blocks, lay the rubber over it, tuck it in and start filling. Trim away the excess and maybe tack or weight the edges down and it's done. Much less aggravation than sealing with epoxy for an application where appearance is completely secondary to function. Although cured epoxy is a very stable and nontoxic material, while it cures it gases off things you don't want to breathe in. Work outside with it. If you know someone who is a roofer you can likely get scrap pieces big enough to work with for free. The only caveat about roofing rubber is that the only difference between it and pond liner is that roofing rubber is dusted with talc for ease of handling. Not something most cps would appreciate. You should scrub and rinse new rubber, or lay it out and let it get rained on a few times before using it.

Last edited:
Actually you could use cheap plastic sheeting or even tarps if you don't mind the decreased durability compared to rubber.

Hydro shops carry such size trays but you'll be paying out the nose. I looked at them and then decided against it when I saw the prices they were asking! LOL

Here's the choices at my local Hydro shop: http://www.midwesthydroponics.com/browse-products/trays-reservoirs/ebb-flow-trays.html

And those rates don't include shipping or rather freight shipping for the size you're seeking.

Yeah, those are ridiculously expensive. Each tray probably cost ~$1.00-2.00 to make, if even. I did not see that site before, thanks for sharing!

I came across that site. Sadly, I cannot find that model in the US. It is too wide anyway. I did find a 39.5 x 21.5 x 5.5 tray by that brand, I may end up paying the ridiculous $20.00 price for it. I could see $10.00, but not $20.00. I can buy planter bowls made in the USA and only pay $2.99 for a 16'' diameter bowl. Most places have silly prices for these things. Thanks for the tip anyway!

Thanks for your input too, SubRosa. The more I thought about it, I think I am going to stick with a plastic bin of some kind. I looked at some stores today, but I could not find anything that would work. I need it to be at least ~6 inches in depth. I did find a nice tray that met the length and width requirements, but it was only 2 inches in depth. Bah!

Here's another thought: Those underbed storage bins seem like the right dimensions & can be under $10 if you find them on sale locally. If too high they can be trimmed down with a knife, jigsaw, or boxcutter.

Example: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/underbedStorage

Looks like you have a few options but nothing quite perfect. lol good luck on your hunt

Last edited:
Yes, I found a Sterilite underbed container before your post today, Knuckles! Problem solved for $11.99 (tax included). I brought it home, did some drilling, filled it with silica sand and peat, spread the Pinguicula and Drosera seeds I recently collected from my plants, and it is good to go! Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited:
Be careful moving it, particularly later in the season. The plastic used for Sterilite containers is not UV protected, and gets very brittle after a couple months in the sun.

I was careful moving it yesterday after I filled it too, thanks for the tip!

Yes, I found a Sterilite underbed container before your post today, Knuckles! Problem solved for $11.99 (tax included). I brought it home, did some drilling, filled it with silica sand and peat, spread the Pinguicula and Drosera seeds I recently collected from my plants, and it is good to go! Thanks for the input everyone.

Awesome! I'm glad everything worked out for ya :bigthumpup:

Back