What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necps show

hey guys can anyone tell me more about the NECPS show in Oct... i know they show bunches of CP's but do they have contests to win some or anything cool like that? fill me in, im a newbie at this stuff and i never knew this thing was in motion!

I've only gone to one of the NECPs meetings, it was a lot of fun. The next one is this Saturday (Sept.11). You should go if you can. I would HIGHLY recommend going to the show, there will PLENTY of chances to acquire plants (for cheap!!), both from vendors and members. Check out the website (www.necps.org), I do belive they will have contests also.

necps web page

Check it out, Altrade. All the info you need and more!

Hey Alltrade -

Hope to see you Saturday.

Just got our monthly newsletter last night from NECPS President, John Phillip:

New England Carnivorous Plant Society
September 2004 Newsletter

Fall is almost upon us, it is back to school time, the growing season is slowing coming to an end for the native plants, and rapidly approaching for the winter growers and plants from the southern hemisphere. And the show for the NECPS is just around the corner!

The last meeting of the NECPS was taken up with catching up on what everyone had been doing for a few months, and starting to plan for the fall show. August was the first time we?d met at the NE Botanical Gardens since May! The Society members had meet away from the NEBG 2 times for successful field trips and members were ready to resume regular meetings.
The Savage Garden Bog at the greenhouse looked great, with lots of plants growing well, the Sarracenia?s putting on a show, and the Sundews really showing off. There will be some maintenance shortly on the bog, before our October show, to help the bog look great for the event. More to be announced on that once we have a date.

The 2nd Annual New England Carnivorous Plant Society Fall Show is a month away! Planning for this show took off at the August meeting. Some of the ideas that were discussed and we are doing are:
? Keeping and expanding the VFT feeding table, and allowing wrap around viewing. Getting the TV again for this.
? Having a bigger sign and more signs to let people know about the Savage Garden Bog in the greenhouse.
? Playing the soundtrack to Little Shop of Horrors in part of the show!
? Having a table where members of the society can put their favorite plant, with a half page or so explaining why that plant is their fav.
? Having a dissecting scope so people can look at some of the smaller plants and traps, as with Genlisea and Utricularia
? Puppets and a kid exhibit, as last year.
? Adding and updating the plant care sheets for members and non-members who want info and buy plants.
? A table where non-members can bring a CP and be judged.
? The same judging as last year for the plants, a People?s Choice Award and a Members Award for the best plants!
? Having a table set up for the Great Growing Contest results.
? Asking the Botanical Illustrators to attend and have a table, where they can be drawing plants.
? Having a ?Pitcher cam? inside a pitcher to show what it looks like from a bug?s eye view.
? Have an area where members can display their own pictures of plants
? Have BIGGER signs up in the park directing people to the show, and have them up earlier for publicity.

Some of these things are being done already, some are in the works. If anyone wants to volunteer for anything, please contact my and we can discuss it!

One of the things that made, and will continue to make this show a success is the Plants we bring for display! The more plants, the more different plants, the better the show! Last year we had over 300 different plants on display; let?s try to add to that total for 2004! Dave Sackett and Kirk Martin are again in charge of the labeling of plants for the show. Please send them a list of plants you hope to bring to the show for display as soon as you can, so they can begin the process of printing the labels! Email or mail your list of plant you hope to bring to either Dave or Kirk at:
Dave Sackett : bid2win1@yahoo.com
Kirk Martin : kwmartin@earthlink.net
This is a big job, so please try to get the names of plants you may be bringing ASAP to either Dave or Kirk. And remember, the more plants the better the show!

Society member Frances Ingersoll has sent out show attendance and booth requests to a few different vendors to see if they would like space at the show. We?ve had a few people from last year agree to attend again, and may add one or two more for this season?s show. We do try to keep the vendors to those who support the society year round and are members of the society. We should have a more updated list at the September meeting.

At last year?s show, we were able to make a few dollars extra for the society by selling some plants at the society table. Once again, plants donated by society members are welcome for this part of the show. We had some bargains there last year, and it helps the society pay for the event and upcoming events. Please think about donating an extra plant or two to the society sale table, and don?t overlook it yourself!

Speaking of a NECPS sale table, I hope to have the first of the NECPS merchandise at the September meeting to show the members. We are using Bill Mathews logo design, and are working on something VERY nice and different, that will really show off the society and Bill?s logo. Again, I hope to have something at the September meeting for members to look at.

At the last meeting, we discussed the University of Rhode Island Greenshare event, being held in Kingston, RI on Saturday, 18 September 2004 at the URI Campus. (The week after our regular meeting.) The event will showcase plant and outdoor events, and I?ve been told that it is usually well attended. We discussed this at the meeting, and afterwards society member Bob Rafka was in contact with the powers that be for the event. The NECPS will be displaying plants and talking about the Society at the Greenshare event. I believe we will be in the children?s tent, but this may not be set in stone. The event runs from 9 am thru 3, and I will be there with plants and paperwork for the society. If anyone would like to help out, please contact me at the next meeting, or email. Bob Rafka should be able to give us a little more info at the September meeting also.

Remember Matt Opel from U Conn?? Matt was on the news a short while ago, talking about some plants from the U Conn Greenhouse, and hasn?t be able to attend meetings recently. I received this email from Matt a few weeks ago:

Please change my email for NECPS newsletters to this Juno
address -- I've graduated and my old UConn email has
croaked.

I just got back from South Africa, and while the trip was
mostly for succulent plants, I did see some droseras. I'll
show you guys some photos! Hope to make it to the
next meeting; I should be able to bring some amusing items
for the auction.

I know a lot of members have been wondering what Matt was up to, and where he?s been, so hopefully we?ll see him at the next meeting.

Speaking of the next meeting of the New England Carnivorous Plant Society, it will be held Saturday, September 11 2004 at the Greenhouses of the New England Botanical Gardens at Roger Williams Park, Providence RI at 12:30 PM. As usual, I will be there about noon if anyone would like to arrive early, check out the Bog, and help with set up. Refreshments will be available, and we will have the ever-popular display table along with the ever more popular swap/silent auction table. The topic will one again be the Fall NECPS show, and we will also discuss the Greenshare event. Directions to the meeting and the park can be found on the NECPS website
http://www.necps.org

I hope to see everyone at the NECPS meeting, Saturday, September 11 2004 at 12:30 PM at the greenhouses!

Thanks, and good growing!

John Phillip, Jr

Hey Everyone -

In case some of you are debating whether to attend Saturday's NECPS meeting.....I just got word from John that one of our sponsors donated a VERY VERY nice selection of plants for Saturday's silent auction. I'm also putting some things into the silent auction including the 'September Mystery Plant', a few Sarracenia, and a Cephalotus. It should be quite the auction!

We will also be doing more planning and preparations for our big October Show.

Hope too see some of you on Saturday.

WildBill

wow! sounds fun, wish i could be there but i still hope to go to the spring BACPS meeting and show

Back