What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neat postcard

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
My mom's friend is in Brunei right now and we got a postcard from her today.Just wanted to show you guys what was on it.

Top Left-Rafflesia(Rafflesia pricei)Now is that a CP cause there's a Nepenthes called N.rafflesiana.
Top Right-Pitcher plant.
Bottom Left-Wild Ginger.
Bottom Right-Wild Orchid.

Cool huh! *Niki*(Trapper7)
smile_m_32.gif

Very cool card, but that rafflesia is a flower, I think.

I think it's that flower that smells like rotting flesh, but I might be wrong.

Ewww gross.Such a pretty plant with such a bad smell
confused.gif
That's a shame. *Niki*

Ummm... I think that Nepenthes might not be a N. rafflesiana.

I'd try N. ampullaria
smile.gif

I never said it was a N.rafflesiana...I said there was a Nepenthes called that and that flower/plant on the postcard is called a Rafflesia...not Rafflesiana.*Niki*
smile.gif

Rafflesia is a very interesting genus. I'd highly recommend reading a little into them. That's a very neat postcard!

What's a genus?I've seen some of you use this word on here and I never knew what it meant. *Niki*
cool.gif

The definition for genus is a taxonomic category ranking below family and above species. To give an example, Drosera capensis. Drosera is the genus and capensis is the species, and you know that there are more than one species of Drosera. Drosera binata, Drosera spatulata, etc, etc. Species is just a latin adjective, really. I got the definitions from dictionary.com :p

Back