What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nano cube

im going to get a reef aquarium and i know all that i need to, but i was wondering if i would have to to chang the water very frequently and how much if i was to have a nano cube 12 gallon with a 106 gph wet dry filter that comes with it, a 10 gallon reforum with live rock andmoney plants in it the refugum would have a pum goin in it (206gph) and the pump goin out of it would have a pump goin out of it (206gph), a protene skimmer ment for a 60 or 90 gallon tank and a lot of aireration,possably a nother filter?
rock.gif
how ofter would i have to change the water??? it would have 2or3 bumble bee snails, fire fish goby, black and white perqula clown fish, and around 2 scarlet clearner shrimp and some neon blue gobys, live rock, live sand, shave brush plant  so help me with my question sorry about all of the run ons

What is a nano cube? I've taken care of saltwater tanks / fish at a wholesaler for ~5 years and I know that technology changes / upgrades, but this is new to me. Water changes generally shouldn't be needed, as long as the tank, more specifically, the filter medium has been seasoned (nitrogen cycle), Occasionally, it is a good idea to siphon off fish waste products.

Please, buy a book first and read it thoroughly.  I would suggest one of these:

"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Rober Fenner
"The Natural Reef Aquarium" by John Tullock
"Reef Secrets" by Fossa and Nilsen

Any of those three will answer all of your questions and more.  Your desired stocking levels are WAY TOO HIGH.  Also, a wet/dry filter is absolutely terrible in a SW tank.  You must have your nitrate levels at ZERO, or as close as possible to that.  The problem with wet/dry filters is that their purpose to create an environment that PROMOTES the production of nitrates.  Not good.  

Trust me, buying a solid book will pay for itself over and over again.  If you don't have the patience to get one and read it, the reefkeeping hobby is not for you, because nothing good in it ever happens quickly.

Oh, and yes, you will need to perform regular water changes. This removes DOM (dissolved organic matter) from the water column, not just the physical detritus that you can see. If left in the water, it can foul water quality and your inhabitants will suffer. Also, synthetic salt mixes contain trace elements and minerals, and by doing regular water changes you are replacing these essential elements back into the water column, which the various organisms will use.

WOW,
You are really over doing the filter stuff. Most nanos don’t even run filtration or skimers. The refugium is a good idea though. Check out Nano-Reef.com for the best info I have found on nanos.
http://www.nano-reef.com/
I have pictures posted in my Yahoo photo section showing the changes that have occurred on my nano cube. I have a 7 gallon ALIFE that has been running for two years now. I do a lot of small water changes. I remove a couple of cups of water, two or three times a week. Most of the water I use is natural sea water. Sometimes after a storm I will go and buy premixed water. I keep my nano at work and a five gallon jug of water under my desk to make quickie water changes. It is a fun hobby and I hope you learn all you can,
Rick
http://photos.yahoo.com/rick_j_g
unclesam.gif

Back