What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa

I want to get myself a nice little CP to grow while I'm living back home, just to take care of before I get back out on my own where I can create the veritable rainforest I had before...

I spotted a mature N. ventricosa at a nursery nearby, which surprised me... I understand that they are indeed very simple to rear under conditions that seem extremely 'normal', compared to other neps...

I have to say though, that my house to a nep is probably what hell is to a snowball.

Mostly for the reason that even the sunniest window (my MOTHER'S bedroom) is probably only sufficiently bright for something that has all of it's other requirements met very precisely. My window faces the same direction, and I suppose it MIGHT suffice... I'm not certain as to the humidity... As it is the summer now, I suppose that it's enough for a strong nep, but in the winter, I a) have no idea, and b) am guessing that it will be murderous to my plants. Watering and stuff like that will not prove problematic as this plant will be my baby.

Would any of you strongly advise against cruelty-to-Nepenthes, or is it worth the shot... It's only 17.00 Dollars.
There was also a Judith Finn (i believe...), but I'm not a fan of generic hybrids, such as xVentrata... No offence to them, I just prefer a pure-bread.

The only thing I would advise against is buying a ventricosa for $17. You can find them MUCH cheaper on the net. PFT sometimes sells them (don't know if they're in stock now, though, & too lazy to look).

Otherwise, give it a shot.

Also, you can supplement the light. Just get a desklamp or something you can put a compact fluorescent bulb into and put it over the plant in addition to the window's light.

Capslock

$17 Dollars? It's fully mature. It's right down the street... Not gonna die in the mail... and it's CAD... *Nods*

See, the light isn't an option for me really, because I'm gonna put it in the only non-cluttered place in my room... Hanging by my window.

You think it sounds *alright* though?

might aswell try.

I say give it a shot. I have two Nepenthes sanguina (these have been compared to ventricosa as far as difficulty growing) and they thrive in very average light conditions. Your Nep might just suprise you and do really well in your room.

Back