What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All my Neps are growing just great except the ventricosa. There is a "?" on the nametag, so I'm wondering just what it might be. So I need your help on this! Here's the other Neps that I'm growing. All grow in the same terrarium.

ampullaria
clipeata x reinwardtiana
gracilis var. nigrapurpurea
rafflesiana
ventrata (ventricosa x alata)
ventricosa?

Take a look and tell me what you think. Oh, and its growing in pure live sphagnum. Before it was growing in typical nep mix, with the same poor results.

ventricosa1.jpg

ventricosa2.jpg

-Homer

It does look sick, and doesn't particularly look like ventricosa becuase the new growth is thin, although you can tell the older growth is much wider, more ventricosa-like.

The only clue you give are the other plants you grow. They are all lowland species. Ventricosa is an intermediate/highland species, and may not be appreciating the warm conditions you're growing it in. Try keeping it cooler, especially at night, and see if it recovers. It should grow well in pure sphagnum.

Reply from Jimscott in 2nd thread:

You probably know this already, but sometimes ya just happen to hook up with a less than wonderful plant. It's probably the plant and not you. As you know, N. ventricosa is either the easiest or one of the easiest Neps to cultivate. If I, as a newbie can keep the one I bought in November alive, whether at a window sill (open tray) or outside, it MUST be the plant. What little I know of you from just reading your posts - you are far more advanced than me in this hobby.

ugh.. very unhappy indeed. Could be the temperature thing stressed it out if it was growing in strict lowland conditions. How long ago was it repotted? Wondering if it has any roots left. Pure sphagnum stays too wet for me and doesn't produce healthy root systems. A plant with stressed/dying roots will sometimes grow funky. Could also be a potential pathogen/pest..

OR could be a combination of things mentioned.

Plant is this shape is a good candidate for throwing the kitchen sink at it..
Hit it with clearys, some insecticide/miticide, repot into a moist well draining mix and keep in bright indirect light and high humidity and moderate temperatures. It will either show vast improvement in relatively short order (a month or two) or kick the bucket in shorter order. Thereby freeing up space for a replacement plant which will be happy and healthy
smile_m_32.gif

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Thereby freeing up space for a replacement plant which will be happy and healthy
smile_m_32.gif

Good point! I just gave the plant to Brisco225 for safe keeping. He has a highland setup. It was repotted over 6 months ago, and has continued to regress. I'll ask Jeremy to repot it if he has time, and we'll go from there.

thanks,

Homer

Back