What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.ventricosa

Cindy

Staff member
I would like to grow them but I'm concerned about how they will take to lowland conditions. N.ventrata, n.miranda, n.emmerene are all doing very well on my balcony. What do you all think? Should I give it a shot or not?
smile_l_32.gif

Do all ventricosa pitchers look like a mini toilet bowl (wide and flat perisome)?

Hi Cindy! Manila greeting Singapore
smile.gif
Ventricosas grow great here in southern Manila. It is almost impossible to not have a nice pitcher on every leaf. Even the x ventrata can not compete with ventricosa. Ventricosas seem to manage even more sunlight.
Ventricosa stands for toilet bowl
smile.gif
If it looks different, then the plant is not adult yet.
Greetings, Volker

Bwahahaha...n.ventricosa!!! It will be mine!!!
smilie4.gif
Thanks, your signature helped, Volker.
smile_m_32.gif

Well great...never thought of a ventricosa looking like a toilet bowl before.
laugh.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Me neither. I have had one since last November. Still producing leaves - green when kept by a window sill and bronze when kept outside. They seem to be the easiest / least picky of the Neps.

I`ve had one since april and it`s a pretty good grower although not the best.

for toilet bowls:

N.jacquelinae, N. platychila,and N. species nova of sumatra

Gus.

P.S. They are all beautiful though.

Gus

Toilet bowl....I don't know about that but make your own mind up:

VentGreen.jpg

VentRed.jpg

Cindy,

I find Vents extremely easy to care for.  I grow mine in the brightest area of my glasshouse and they are more than happy with my intermediate conditions.  The only time I have seen them slow was the red form after I repotted it.  Kept growing leaves but all new pitcher seemed to go on hold until the root system was re-establed.  At that point all dormant pitcher buds took off at once and I had a flood of new and bigger pitchers.

I'd say just give it a go if you are having success with those other Neps.

Aaron.

Very nice Aaron I like the fluted peristomes.:)

Very toilet bowl-like
smile_t_32.gif
But it's really cute...and lovely...

Thanks everyone for your help...soon I'll have my own little potties...hehe..

My plant grew back after it got frosted. It grew back into a huge mature plant in a matter of months. I grow a large red form labled N. burkei. I've found that plants labled N.burkei are often larger and more vigourous than the typical form.

i think burkei is just a var. or ssp.

i grow ventricosa in lowland conditions, i have two. one smaller one and one larger one that i just got. the large one is from a cutting and the smaller one is from TC. plants grown from TC. are slower than a line at the DMV compared to plants grown from cuttings, in this case atleast. both plants are doing great and they are the only highlanders with the exception of copelandii that i grow in my terrarium. conditions are 85-88 during the day (usually 87) , low-mid 70's at night. 80% + at all times.

Wait...N.burkei and N.ventricosa are the same species??
smile_k_ani_32.gif

yeah, there are differences. personally i think burkei is more attractive overall.

Im pretty sure you can grow your ventrosica in your conditions, im no sure where you live but im in south florida and my ventrosica is aproaching 2 feet tall, it had 2 basal shoots but i atempted to grow 1, it was a very small baby and it died, the other one i left with the mother is growing very healthy, the mother is starting to produce upper pitchers it seems, they are about 1-2" and are floating around everywhere, it looks very cool

Back