What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa lids wont open

I have had this Nep for about 4 months and it is producing pitchers like crazy but none of the pitchers lids will open. Any tips on what I am doing wrong? I have it under excellent lights, water with RO water and mist all my CPs about 3-6 times a day depending on how much time I have. Let me know if there is any other info that would be helpful, I can supply a pic if needed.

Also, what is the survivability of Nep cuttings? I received many Nep cuttings that were fresh cut and so far I have lost 1 and another is on its way out, but all others look great and a few have started to root. I keep them moist at all times so maybe I am keeping them to wet??

Thanks!
Victoria

Is the lid partially open but stuck in the front? You might need to increase the humidity. I had some trouble with ventricosa lids a while back where they would start to open around the sides but it would stay down in the front. I thought it was because the nectar around the peristome was sticking the lid, but I think it might be the humidity. I ended up just gently pealing the lid from the front and once it was unstuck it raised the rest of the way on it's own. Some nep lids will close a little bit if the humidity drops in order to keep the juices from evaporating, or so I've heard.

xvart.

I had the same problem, so I just bent one up and it stayed like that, another I just ripped the lid off.

picture maby?

Thanks for the advice xvart! Some of the lids open around the sides but not in front other open a little all over but dont fully open. I will put it in my terrerium and see how it does, it is quite a bit more humid in their. I pried one open but it just went right back to its original position 2 seconds after I let go.... I will try to snap some pics later, in a hurry now so gotta run.

Victoria

how long have you had it? Personally I've never experienced this, but i sincerely doubt its the humidity. I have plants that pitcher constantly in 15%.

On the topic of cuttings, I've never lost one, so I don't know exactly how to pinpoint your problem. It depends on the species or hybrid you are trying to root though, and the method. I have a crazy way of preparing the cutting (which I am way too lazy to type), but in terms of caring for it, you need to keep it humid (absolutely no less than 80%), in the brigthest light possible, and keep it pretty wet. I keep my cuttings a little drier than my swampy lowlanders. Like I said....never lost a cutting

Back