What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa: faster than light.

Hello guys!

I was looking at one of my Nepenthes ventricosa today and I was amazed on how fast these guys grow.  I know that most of people think ventricosa are too common, but for me they are a real beauty. I really love them.

I am posting picture so you all can see the development of pitchering in one of my plants.

I received this plant in late December 2004, and it has changed a lot in 6 month (From last December to June).

Here is a pic of a pitcher 1 month after the arrival (January) It was light green and had some king of wings:
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSAWING.jpg

Then you can see a new pitcher in March after repotting. Now the new pitcher still have a reminisces of wings but only in the upper part of the pitcher. Also, see how there are some pinkish marks and the green is deeper:
VGREEN11702.jpg

And now see the whole plant with big and beautiful red pitchers today (June 21st). No wings and reddish coloration in most of the pitchers. You can see only a light green blend with pink in the lower part of the pitchers. The pot is a 8 inches of diameter pot:
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSABIG2.jpg

And last, this is how I expect that the new pitchers will be in 2 more months: with narrower waist, measuring more than 6 inches long and with fully developed and elegant peristomes. This plant is older, and took more time to reach this pitchers size. But since the above plant has grown so fast I expect it to be bigger than this older one real soon:
NEPENTHESVENTRICOSABIG1.jpg

I would like to know the experiences that you guys have had with your ventricosa plants. Are they that fast growers always, or this is related with environment, weather, season?

Thanks…!
Jorge Joel…
Emilia’s Garden

Jorge,

Once ventricosa is established, it grows extremely fast. From a previous year's flower stalk to the next one, I counted 25 leaves, which is just over 2 a month. Given that it doesn't grow much during the winter months, it really grows like a demon in the warmer weather. I should take another photo of one of my ones, as I have various pics from over the years that show how much it has grown.

Hello SydneyNeps! Thanks for charing the info:)

And yes, you should take some pics and post it here... please, please? I want to see them:)

Thanx,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

I can agree with SydneyNeps. Of the 3½ Neps I have, my ventricosa (all 3 of them) grow at a pretty good pace year round and seldom fail to pitcher. They have definitely picked up the pace since warmer weather got here, too.

Jorge,

As requested, I have some 'before' and 'after' photos of one of my ventricosa which grows in a hanging basket by the back door which I haven't cut back.

This is the plant in flower on 2 November 2003:

ventricosa_021103.JPG

And here is the same plant this morning, 23 June 2005:

ventricosa%20door%20230605.JPG

Given the length of the internodes, it's a remarkable journey it has taken. Nowhere near as much as a maxima that has raided my neighbour's garden twice, but impressive in its own way.

Hamish

Hey Hamish! Thank you very mcuh for the pics!
smile.gif

Oh man, that is amazing! That is a huge ventricosa
smile.gif

I can hardly wait until see, at least one of mines, in that size
smile_k_ani_32.gif

So it took like a year and a half for your plant to have this size, right? Well maybe in that time i can have mines in that size.

How often do your ventricosa produce bloom?

Jorge, it normally flowers once in spring, although this last season it flowered again in summer. I wouldn't be surprised if it flowers twice again this year.

Hamish

Hey Hamish! Well, none of my plant have porduced bloom so far, not even the older ones i have. I guess i will need to wait untill next spring, though i still have hope that they will do this summer
smile.gif

Is there any way i can encourage blooming?
confused.gif

Thanks for the info,
Jorge Joel...
Emilia's Garden

Hi SydneyNeps!
Thanks for posting those nice Ventricosa Pics!
I love to see all those sort of "statistics" in order to have an idea how fast a plant specie con grow.
I will receive a Ventricosa soon in a vitro condition and I will try to grow her best as I can!
See ya!

Mr_Aga
Milan - ITALY

Back