What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventrata

My N. ventrata has grown quite a bit(its now been in my care for a little over a year). Its around maybe 7 inches "tall" though this is not straight. This whole winter it hasn't swelled any pitchers but it recently produced a basal shoot which has put out a pitcher which should soon open. My only guess is that something is wrong with the upper pitchers or perhaps they are just slower? I remember reading that the tendrils needed to wrap around something. Several have but they haven't grown into pitchers either.

Suggestions appreciated!

I don't have many pitchers on the top 2/3rds of my plant either. I don't know if it's because of the low humidity from winter or what. If it's not a humidity problem, I suspect maybe the vine just grows faster, and the pitcher development can't keep up with it. *shrug*

If your plant acts like mine they will start to vine and grow like weeds. I have a shoot that is over twelve feet long! The interesting thing is the upper pitchers are bigger than the lower pitchers but less colorful. They do tend to pitcher more when wraped around something but it is not a requirement. The initial growth spurt does not produce a lot of pitchers but then the whole vine starts to develop them. These are just my observations for my particular plant in my particular growing conditions, yours my vary. I'm still waiting for my first flower.

I keep my grow room is very humid.

Glenn

Thanks for the observations! Do you think I should let it grow or perhaps chop it dow, make cuttings, and allow the basal shoot to take over?

That's what I did. It depends on if you want a tall plant or a bushy plant. After seeing the tall plant I opted for bushy. Plus mine wasn't in the ideal place this winter so a lot of the pitchers were looking rough... I decided to let it start fresh.

I ended up with over 35 cuttings that I didn't want to throw away.
smile.gif
Now they belong to people with greenhouses who can establish them and forget about them... I didn't have the space.

Uppers vines can be slow sometimes due to the basal shoot taking most of the plants energy.

Drew Mcclain

My plant grew plenty of basal shoots before I even cut it the first time. Once you start cutting you will get more shoots.

My whole phylosophy (sp?) on nepenthes is to let them do thier thing (vine) as long as you have the room. It sure is fun to see the differences between new vs. old growth, lower vs. upper, etc.

If you the luxury of room, let it grow, let it grow, let it grow.
smile_m_32.gif

Glenn

I guess I will leave it for now and see how it does. I agree that the upper vine seems to be a bit slower but I haven't been watching it too closely. The basal shoot now has opened a small(approx 1.25-1.75) inch pitcher.

My ventrata has always pitchered ever since they gave it to me. I really can't tell the difference between the lower pitchers from the upper ones on my ventrata.

Back